DnD and beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giant Fortress RP

5 posters

Go down

Giant Fortress RP Empty Giant Fortress RP

Post  Hoofin Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am

In the Library w/ the librariangolem
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

https://hoofin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Giant Fortress RP Empty Re: Giant Fortress RP

Post  Wrex Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 am

Bump
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:15 am

The Library

"Numerous glowing crystal lanterns hang on fine chains from the domed ceiling sixty feet above, filling this circular room with bright light. The walls of the room are carved with more runes and sigils, while overstuffed wood and leather chairs and polished oak tables surround a thirty-foot-wide shaft in the floor."

"The shaft contains the library's holdings. The walls are 30 feet wide and 50 feet deep, consisting of shelf after shelf of books, scrolls, tablets, and other means of storing information. The books appear to be written primarily in Thassilonian. Although you notice that the older tomes use a slightly different script. One in which the "a" in Thassilonian is closer to an "o" making it Thossilonian and changing the meaning of the name of the language from representing a land to representing a single person."

"The room is also occupied by a large stone golem. This golem is rather unusually mannered. Rather than stomping around on patrol or engaging in hostilities he seems to be focused on tidying up the library. The massive creature delicately puts books back on shelves and dusts off tables and chairs. As you approach he turns toward you, bows his head in a deep nod and says in Thassilonian 'Which volume of lore would you like me to retrieve for you? There are currently 24,491 volumes, scrolls, pamphlets, and unbound manuscripts available. Please indicate which one you wish by author, title, subject, or date of acquisition.'"

"Upon closer examination you see that the golem has been fitted with a monocle and great attention has been paid to the crafting of his hands and fingers giving him more inside and manual dexterity than a typical creature of his kind. He has scraps of cloth hung over one arm for cleaning and hasn't allowed dust to settle on any surface of the library."

------------------

You guys can take a few minutes of downtime to research a topic with the librarian golem's help. You will not have a chance to rest, but you'll notice the forgefiend that moves through walls does not enter the library. Those occasionally you'll hear him outside quickly moving through a hallway or into a wall.

For the next virtual session we'll start off in the library and you can go on from there. Of course, the longer you take in the library the more time the enemy will have to bring in reinforcements.

-JW

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:21 am

I say to the golem (or I ask Ifurita to repeat to the Golem in Thassilonian if it doesn't understand Common)

"Librarian, brings us the most relevant items in this library based on the following criteria:

(and just to clarify, I mean the most relevant items that fit the criteria in each bullet point, not items that fit all the bullet points listed)

- Subject: Thossose (side note: I assume that we have all at least heard of Thossose by this point because we shared our individual RP stuff from that one extended downtime we had)

- Subject: The relationship between Thossose, the individual, and the Thassilonian Empire

- Subject: Runewell

- Subject: Mokmurian

- Author: Mokmurian

- Subject: this library and its construction

- Date of acquisition: the 5 most recent

- Subject: Forgefiends and tactics to defeat or neutralize them

- Criteria: the last 5 materials requested by the one named Mokmurian"
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:55 am

Very glad we have Simon for this one...super research librarian to the rescue!
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:42 pm

VitoOracle wrote:I say to the golem (or I ask Ifurita to repeat to the Golem in Thassilonian if it doesn't understand Common)

You will need Ifurita to translate, he only speaks and understands Thassilonian.

"Librarian, brings us the most relevant items in this library based on the following criteria:

Many of you're queries are going to result in far too much information.  I'll provide you with answers where you're specific enough.

Subject: Thossose (side note: I assume that we have all at least heard of Thossose by this point because we shared our individual RP stuff from that one extended downtime we had)

"Too much information requested.  Too many relevant artifacts, table space insufficient, narrow search criteria."

Subject: The relationship between Thossose, the individual, and the Thassilonian Empire

The librarian will return with the tomes "History of the Thassilonian Empire" and "Thossose the Dark".  He also finds several bundled scrolls labeled "The accounts of dark times by Cidalfous"

The Thassilonian empire was thousands of years old (2-4 thousand years ago).  Thossose was a mage that terrorized the world some 200 years ago.  Thossose studied in the City of Daleron on the southern continent and then was present at the founding of Iron Mountain - a gathering place for mages.  The scrolls describe many events that you guys already know from your previous confrontations with Thossose in the older campaigns.

Subject: Runewell

"Too much information requested.  Too many relevant artifacts, table space insufficient, narrow search criteria."

Subject: Mokmurian

"No relevant information found."

Author: Mokmurian

Subject: this library and its construction

He'll bring you a tome entitled "The Knowledge of Arcana by Khalib".

Date of acquisition: the 5 most recent

"Divine Acumen to Arcane Intellect by Khalib" - A book that talks about the interweaving of divine and arcane magics.
"Forces and Energies by Khalib" - A book that talks about basic energies and schools of magic.
"The Rise to Power by Khalib" - An autobiography of the mage Khalib.  Apprentice to Thossose.
"The Wind in the Night by Khalib" - A book of morbid poetry.
"A history of ecclesiastic martial orders" - A book that talks about various monastic and templar orders.

All acquisitions are over 200 years old.  Nothing has been added to the library since that time.

Subject: Forgefiends and tactics to defeat or neutralize them

Criteria: the last 5 materials requested by the one named Mokmurian"

"The Geography of Enivor" - This book appears to be several old maps and descriptions of locations.  Including several large fold out maps.  You notice several maps have been recently torn out.
"Maps of the Varisia Battlefields" - The whole book describes ancient battles, many hundreds of years old.  It shows troop locations and strongholds throughout the area.
"The mythical island of Vallenfall" - A collection of short stories from around two hundred some years ago about a distant island far off the coast.
"Structures of the Ancients by Kalib" - A book on architecture and building, describing how to construct certain types of buildings and masonry techniques.
"The Motes of Arcana" - A highly theoretical tome talking about building blocks of magical energy.  Forces that the schools of magic are made up of.

------

You don't have time to read all of the books found in any detail.  I described only what you could skim quickly.  With more time and knowledge checks more might be learned.
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Giant Fortress Aftermath

Giant Army

The cohesion of Mokmurian's forces is strained after his death. Conna and her tribe advocate each group going their own way back to the plateau tribal lands. Father Malkar advocates continuing with Mokmurian's plan - staying together as an army and taking the fight to the low lands to rule.

Followup: The party could intervene on either side of the conflict or just let it resolve itself.

The Black Monk

The other occupant of Mokmurian's fortress is the Black Monk living in the tower near the center of the fortress. He is attended by a group of harpy monks. Now that Mokmurian is dead the Black Monk's pact with him is broken. They will stay in the tower though and not attack unless their sanctum is intruded upon.

In Mokmurian's notes there is some information on the Black Monk. Mokmurian found this fortress when he roamed the wilds after being cast out by his tribe (wizard magic is forbidden). Mokmurian agreed to leave the Black Monk in peace and bring him tributes weekly in return for his harpy's patrolling the area and not attacking his troops. In addition, he was given a small black book that had belonged to a victim of the Black Monk from many years prior when the Black Monk first came to the fortress.

Followup: The party could make a new deal with the Black Monk or attempt to kill him.

Apprentice Khalib

From the books in the library and Mokmurian's notes you are able to piece together the story of Thosose's apprentice Khalib. Khalib was researching in the library here two hundred years ago when Thosose became trapped in Iron Mountain. He was researching a way for Thosose to be freed when he was killed by the Black Monk who came across the fortress by chance.

Khalib penned a number of books in the library and he carried with him the Dark Tome of Thosose. An item that each of Thosose's apprentices were given by their master.

Dark Tome of Thosose

The small book radiates strong magical energy, almost to the point where it physically vibrates and tangibly radiates with power. The book is bound closed with a horizontal strap of leather built into the cover and binding. It is easily unclasped. There are fine silver runes on the edges and cover, identifiable as symbols of magic and the owners name "Khalib".

Followup: Open the book.

Mokmurian's Notes

Mokmurian has a large number of scrolls and books and maps spread around the table in his chambers. He also has scrolls piled around his bed and stacks of books on the floor by his bed. They include battle plans for attacking the low lands (straight forward plan marching down the Storval Stair and attacking every town between there and Magnimar).

In addition there are maps of the area have have Sandpoint circled along with Roderic's Cove and Biston. There are large "X's" over Roderic's Cove and Biston with only a question mark next to Sandpoint. It has also been circled twice and has the name Teraktinus next to it, but it has been scratched out.

From what else you can gather in the notes Thosose had a number of libraries, laboratories and tower throughout the area, but they were all extensions of his main home - a demiplane called Runeforge. Runeforge was an inter-dimensional area that only Thosose and his apprentices could enter. There he conducted magical research and and great experiments beyond those that would be conducted on the prime-material plane.

You find many notes and markers in books where Runeforge is talked about. Handwritten notes from Mokmurian stuck in various pages of books or on the margins of scrolls - "How do I get there?" "Is there a physical access point to the realm?" "It is only there that I can learn how to free him." "The master will be free and will return to his domain!" "With the power of Runeforge I could free the master, or become him!"

You also find a scrap that reads,
"Apprentices"
- Khalib - "Killed by the Black Monk"
- Azuramond - "Imprisoned by Thosose"
- Thak'kardis - "Trapped in Iron Mountain with the Master?"

And then written over top of the page across at a diagonal "How can I get one of them to lead me to Runeforge if they're all dead or banished?"

Followup: Go to Sandpoint to look for whatever Mokmurian was looking for there. Seek out more information on Runeforge.

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 pm

Jeremy44 wrote:
Giant Fortress Aftermath

Giant Army
Conna seems like a good leader for returning the stone giants to a more non-violent lifestyle. I think we should take out Father Malkar to maximize Conna's chances for success.

Jeremy44 wrote:The Black Monk
A powerful being called the Black Monk who was able to secure tribute from a warlord like Mokmurian sounds like really bad news, even if we leave him alone. We should take him out.

Jeremy44 wrote:Apprentice Khalib
We probably need to do more research in the library.

Jeremy44 wrote:Dark Tome of Thosose
Well, I guess we can open it, but we need to be really careful. We should put up lots of magical protection beforehand. I'm very leery about messing around with things that belong(ed?) to necromancers.

Jeremy44 wrote:Mokmurian's Notes
First, we can try to research The Runeforge in the library. After that, following up at Sandpoint seems like the logical thing to do.

Also...
Holy crap, I just remembered that we still have hostages from Sandpoint to rescue.
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:31 am

Giant Army

The cohesion of Mokmurian's forces is strained after his death. Conna and her tribe advocate each group going their own way back to the plateau tribal lands. Father Malkar advocates continuing with Mokmurian's plan - staying together as an army and taking the fight to the low lands to rule.

Followup: The party could intervene on either side of the conflict or just let it resolve itself.

Offer a third option, join with North Reach and Stromnus. An old evil is rising and offer to create a confederation of nation-states for mutual aid and trade. The tribes gathered can instead venture forth to solidify their strength and holds on the Storval Plateau and The Cinderlands. Perhaps for once, reach out to Stromnus to make an appearance to speak to the tribes gathered. Point out that we beat Mokmurian but Stromnus is even far more powerful than us. His path has brought peace and prosperity to my tribe for 200 years.
The fortress here could be their Vaes Dothrak (Game of Thrones reference for those who don’t read/watch it). Simply redirect their bloodlust to expand in another direction for now. Was Father Malkar evil? Might have to kill him to persuade his tribe to follow with the new plan.

The Black Monk

The other occupant of Mokmurian's fortress is the Black Monk living in the tower near the center of the fortress. He is attended by a group of harpy monks. Now that Mokmurian is dead the Black Monk's pact with him is broken. They will stay in the tower though and not attack unless their sanctum is intruded upon.

In Mokmurian's notes there is some information on the Black Monk. Mokmurian found this fortress when he roamed the wilds after being cast out by his tribe (wizard magic is forbidden). Mokmurian agreed to leave the Black Monk in peace and bring him tributes weekly in return for his harpy's patrolling the area and not attacking his troops. In addition, he was given a small black book that had belonged to a victim of the Black Monk from many years prior when the Black Monk first came to the fortress.

Followup: The party could make a new deal with the Black Monk or attempt to kill him.

What kind of “tribute” are we talking about here? The Black Monk must be pretty powerful to have killed Khalib. He should have a lot of information though if he is willing to part with it. Is he neutral or evil?

Apprentice Khalib

From the books in the library and Mokmurian's notes you are able to piece together the story of Thosose's apprentice Khalib. Khalib was researching in the library here two hundred years ago when Thosose became trapped in Iron Mountain. He was researching a way for Thosose to be freed when he was killed by the Black Monk who came across the fortress by chance.

Khalib penned a number of books in the library and he carried with him the Dark Tome of Thosose. An item that each of Thosose's apprentices were given by their master.

The same research can be very relevant to us finding Iron Mountain and freeing our other guys trapped there. Although this is assuming our guys were victorious in their fight against Thosose. However, my flashback did have this quote from Jeremy:

“I received a magical message from one of the mages, El-thalas, he gave me the message that Thossose had been defeated, but that the reality of Iron Mountain had shifted. He thought they would be able to figure it out shortly and regroup with the rest of us in Dal Perimorre. Instead I never heard from him again.”

Dark Tome of Thosose

The small book radiates strong magical energy, almost to the point where it physically vibrates and tangibly radiates with power. The book is bound closed with a horizontal strap of leather built into the cover and binding. It is easily unclasped. There are fine silver runes on the edges and cover, identifiable as symbols of magic and the owners name "Khalib".

Followup: Open the book.

All you Ray.

Mokmurian's Notes

Mokmurian has a large number of scrolls and books and maps spread around the table in his chambers. He also has scrolls piled around his bed and stacks of books on the floor by his bed. They include battle plans for attacking the low lands (straight forward plan marching down the Storval Stair and attacking every town between there and Magnimar).

In addition there are maps of the area have have Sandpoint circled along with Roderic's Cove and Biston. There are large "X's" over Roderic's Cove and Biston with only a question mark next to Sandpoint. It has also been circled twice and has the name Teraktinus next to it, but it has been scratched out.

From what else you can gather in the notes Thosose had a number of libraries, laboratories and tower throughout the area, but they were all extensions of his main home - a demiplane called Runeforge. Runeforge was an inter-dimensional area that only Thosose and his apprentices could enter. There he conducted magical research and and great experiments beyond those that would be conducted on the prime-material plane.

You find many notes and markers in books where Runeforge is talked about. Handwritten notes from Mokmurian stuck in various pages of books or on the margins of scrolls - "How do I get there?" "Is there a physical access point to the realm?" "It is only there that I can learn how to free him." "The master will be free and will return to his domain!" "With the power of Runeforge I could free the master, or become him!"

You also find a scrap that reads,
"Apprentices"
- Khalib - "Killed by the Black Monk"
- Azuramond - "Imprisoned by Thosose"
- Thak'kardis - "Trapped in Iron Mountain with the Master?"

And then written over top of the page across at a diagonal "How can I get one of them to lead me to Runeforge if they're all dead or banished?"

Followup: Go to Sandpoint to look for whatever Mokmurian was looking for there. Seek out more information on Runeforge.

Speak with dead spell? Search the lighthouse area in Sandpoint again, this time more thoroughly. During the downtime of a couple months, we could do additional research in the Fortress library, solidify our holdings and alliances here between the tribes, seek out and gather old allies (Quiver, Sage, Krikk), one of the places Mokmurian was looking at was Vallenfall-maybe we should too… Anarchy only helps evil grow. We need to start organizing forces. Whatever dark and crazy evil Jeremy has planned for us, we need to strengthen our options as we react to them. So far, we have been very limited in what we can do or in terms of allies. Past the weak ass sub-level ten stuff. Time for some EPIC shit! This shit got just got real!
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:27 am

Offer a third option, join with North Reach and Stromnus.  An old evil is rising and offer to create a confederation of nation-states for mutual aid and trade.  The tribes gathered can instead venture forth to solidify their strength and holds on the Storval Plateau and The Cinderlands.  Perhaps for once, reach out to Stromnus to make an appearance to speak to the tribes gathered.  Point out that we beat Mokmurian but Stromnus is even far more powerful than us.  His path has brought peace and prosperity to my tribe for 200 years.
The fortress here could be their Vaes Dothrak (Game of Thrones reference for those who don’t read/watch it).  Simply redirect their bloodlust to expand in another direction for now.  Was Father Malkar evil?  Might have to kill him to persuade his tribe to follow with the new plan.

Stromnus isn't in North Reach right now. He's still over in the Blood Wood....

The stone giants won't naturally stay together unless they're forced to. They'd naturally break into their tribes and go their own ways. Some are more hostile than others and most would just follow their tribal leaders. Conna is the main advocate for going back to tribal life.

Father Malkar is evil. He's a half-giant, half-fiend priest of a demon god. He has two red dragon pets.

What kind of “tribute” are we talking about here?  The Black Monk must be pretty powerful to have killed Khalib.  He should have a lot of information though if he is willing to part with it.  Is he neutral or evil?

He is lawful neutral. From what Conna will tell you, he stays in his tower and doesn't seem to show any desire to leave. His disciples do patrol the area though. Mokmurian would offer a small chest of gemstones each week in tribute. The Black Monk would not accept coins or items - only gemstones.

The same research can be very relevant to us finding Iron Mountain and freeing our other guys trapped there.  Although this is assuming our guys were victorious in their fight against Thosose.  However, my flashback did have this quote from Jeremy:

“I received a magical message from one of the mages, El-thalas, he gave me the message that Thossose had been defeated, but that the reality of Iron Mountain had shifted. He thought they would be able to figure it out shortly and regroup with the rest of us in Dal Perimorre. Instead I never heard from him again.”

Yes. It seems the party and Mokmurian both share a goal of getting into Iron Mountain...

All you Ray.

The results will be relevant to all. I'd recommend someone with high will saves >Smile

Speak with dead spell?  Search the lighthouse area in Sandpoint again, this time more thoroughly.  During the downtime of a couple months, we could do additional research in the Fortress library, solidify our holdings and alliances here between the tribes, seek out and gather old allies (Quiver, Sage, Krikk), one of the places Mokmurian was looking at was Vallenfall-maybe we should too…  Anarchy only helps evil grow.  We need to start organizing forces.  Whatever dark and crazy evil Jeremy has planned for us, we need to strengthen our options as we react to them.  So far, we have been very limited in what we can do or in terms of allies.  Past the weak ass sub-level ten stuff.  Time for some EPIC shit!  This shit got just got real!
[/quote]

Speak with dead spell requires remains.

Gathering old allies is always a good idea, there are only a few that this party knows though so I'd suggest starting there. You could do some things during down time (send out messages) but there is more that will be integrated into the adventure.

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 am

First off, our "cleric" seems to want to "take a lotta ppl out". Hahahahhahah

Secondly, Mike always trying to get some closure on Stromnus. Hahahahahha, gonna require some diplomacy Smile

Third, I have the LEAST CLOSURE! Azuramond!!??/ Ally? Traitor? Something in between? Alive? Diead? Who knows? WHO KNOWS!!!???

Fourthly, I agree w/ Mike on Monk. If he took out Khalib and got offerings and such, he must be ultra powerful. Don't know if we can take him on.
Offerings only in gemstones? Maybe some black diamonds in that stockpile.

Opening the book: Who has the highest will saves? Whoever it is, they should get some will save buffs b4 opening. I'm HOPING its Si, but it may be me....

Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

https://hoofin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

It might have to be Ray. Generally, anything called a "Dark Tome" will probably have particularly bad consequences for any good-aligned divine spellcaster. Plus out of all of us, Ray's character has the best chance of actually understanding the writing, since he's got high ranks in Linguistics. In any event, I want to make sure that whoever reads the book is buffed with lots of spells beforehand. Just off the top of my head, it'll be Heroism, Bless, Prayer, Death Ward, Moment of Greatness, and Protection from Evil.
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Hoofin wrote:

Opening the book:  Who has the highest will saves? Whoever it is, they should get some will save buffs b4 opening. I'm HOPING its Si, but it may be me....

We both know who has the highest will save in the party > : )

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  gravime Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Sorry, haven't checked in awhile. I might have the highest at 20 and I always like to gamble...(insert buffs please)
gravime
gravime

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down