DnD and beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sandpoint Giant Raid Aftermath

4 posters

Go down

Sandpoint Giant Raid Aftermath Empty Sandpoint Giant Raid Aftermath

Post  Jeremy44 Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

After the raid on Sandpoint the party assesses the damage.

Fires - Significant fires from the Dragon's attack damaged the Cathedral, Garrison, burned down the theater and surrounding houses. The Mayor has sent word to Magnimar of the attack and is paying local craftsmen extra wages from the town's coffers to help with the rebuilding efforts.

Raid Objective - There is a lot of speculation on why the giants would raid Sandpoint. This isn't like the previous year's goblin attack. Goblins are often seen around Sandpoint even if they don't usually raid the town itself. Stone giants are usually only found hundreds of miles away up on the Storval Plateau and even Hill giants are uncommon in this area. During the raid Teraktinus seemed to have a specific objective in mind. The Sheriff is trying to gather information on what that objective might have been.

Missing Citizens - A total of 12 citizens are missing. Two were seen to have been carried away by a pair of giants that attacked the Two Knights Brewery. Gaven Deverin (a merchant and priest of Abadar) and his assistant where at the brewery. Other citizens are either dead from the fires or fled into the woods and have not yet returned.

Freed Scarnetti's - The wagon that was intercepted returning from the Scarnetti's manor included four members of the Scarnetti merchant family. Their manor house was looted and partially destroyed by the giants and their bears. They thank the party for freeing them, but are vocal with the other merchants and the mayor that they were targeted specifically by the giants.

Giant Prisoner - One giant was captured at the end of the raid. The Sheriff makes him available to the party for questioning. He is locked in a modified prison cell, heavily chained and watched by guards. He has not made any attempt to escape, but has offered information in exchange for his freedom.

Fort Rannick - Around the time of the attack on Sandpoint, Nualia and Vale noticed Wyverns in the sky above Fort Rannick and the former Kreeg Hold. They came from the north and seemed like they intended to land at both Fort Rannick and Kreeg Hold but pulled up and flew back north when they found them occupied by the party's allies. Nualia suggests leading a group to the north up on to the Storval Plateau to investigate.

-----------------

From here it is assumed that the party will rest for one evening (to regain health and spells). But after that how long you want to stay is up to you guys. I would suggest questioning the prisoner, he will be more or less cooperative so just post questions here and I'll answer them. And then you'll want to decide what you guys want to do.

-JW

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Sandpoint Giant Raid Aftermath Empty Re: Sandpoint Giant Raid Aftermath

Post  VitoOracle Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Okay, questions for the prisoner. Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks all the way:

1) Who are you?

2) What tribe or group do you belong to?

3) Who is your leader? Is he responsible for organizing this attack?

4) The one who led your raid, Teraktinus, seemed particularly focused on a specific objective in one part of Sandpoint. What was it, and why?

5) How did a dragon come to be part of your raid? Does your group usually associate with dragons?

6) During the raid, there was mention of hunting after some particularly greedy residents of Sandpoint. Were they targeted for a specific purpose?

7) Did you or your comrades have specific knowledge of the alleged greed of particular Sandpoint residents?

8) Your comrades still managed to run off with some of the townsfolk. Where have they been taken to?

9) What and where is your base of operations?

10) Describe your forces and their number. Does your group consist mostly of giants?

11) Are there any further raids or attacks planned?

12) Has your leader made mention of a specific, ultimate objective to you or your comrades?

- That's all I can think of for now. I reserve the right to ask follow-up questions.
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:17 am

As the party approaches the prisoner (I'll assume the entire party is there for the questioning). He speaks:

Frowning to himself he chuckles lowly and says "Defeated in little human town. Never though this would happen to the Plateau People. Never thought great warriors would be found here. I will tell you this. My lord is the mighty Mokmurian, one of the dark giants of old come again. His magic, the things he has made...He has convinced the tribes that they will rule all the lowlands again, down to the sea. He has mastered the ancient arts."

"He will certainly kill you all, run rough over your tiny homes with the army he has called. The fortunate few will become his slaves. You beat us today, but you won't beat us when there are a hundred or a thousand of the true people marching together. Lord Mokmurian will make it happen. He's almost as smooth a talker as you are, little one."

"Teraktinus - he was the leader of our scouting party. He convinced us that you'd be easy pickings and we'd all get rich. He obviously underestimated you, and he paid for his mistake. I've not interest in paying for that mistake as well - grant me safe passage out of your lands, and I'll tell you everything you wish to know."

1) Who are you?

"I am Abraxxus, 3rd of my tribe's warriors. Hmm... I guess first now...."

2) What tribe or group do you belong to?

"I belong to the Stone Hammer tribe. We were one of the first tribes Mokmurian called."

3) Who is your leader? Is he responsible for organizing this attack?

"Teraktinus lead us. He was blessed by Mokmurian's master. He bore the same mark as Mokmurian and is body was enhanced with the power of the ancient arts. Mokmurian called us to attack here. Teraktinus picked his band for the raid."

4) The one who led your raid, Teraktinus, seemed particularly focused on a specific objective in one part of Sandpoint. What was it, and why?

"I don't know. He said he had a special mission from Mokmurian, but he did not tell us what it was. We were to cause destruction and carry off as many prisoners as possible. We were not expecting such resistance."

5) How did a dragon come to be part of your raid? Does your group usually associate with dragons?

"Longtooth is an ally of Mokmurian. Mokmurian has many powerful allies."

6) During the raid, there was mention of hunting after some particularly greedy residents of Sandpoint. Were they targeted for a specific purpose?

"We were told there were indicators for the particularly greedy. A particular, holy symbol, or the fatter folk, or the folk in brighter garments. Merchants and nobles in particular we were told to capture. They will be marked and sacrificed at Jorgenfist."

7) Did you or your comrades have specific knowledge of the alleged greed of particular Sandpoint residents?

"Only by the indicators we were given."

8 ) Your comrades still managed to run off with some of the townsfolk. Where have they been taken to?

"They will be on their way back to Jorgenfist."

9) What and where is your base of operations?

"Jorgenfist lies within the Valley of the Blak Tower in the center of the Iron Peaks. It overlooks the waters of the Muschkal River, but can be approached by heading due east from the Storval Stairs."

10) Describe your forces and their number. Does your group consist mostly of giants?

"He has seven tribes of my brothers under his command, with each tribe numbering in the dozens. The number of lesser kin he's conscripted - ogres, hill giants, ettins, trolls - is not insignificant. He has the support of others as well. Dragons, wyverns, rocs, lamias, human mercenaries, and tamed beasts like the dire bears.

11) Are there any further raids or attacks planned?

"We were not the only raiding party to leave Jorgenfist, but I do not know the destinations of the others. It is doubtful that other groups would come here. We thought this small town to be a soft target and that our raiding party more than sufficient to deal with it."

12) Has your leader made mention of a specific, ultimate objective to you or your comrades?

"Only to ransack the town, take as many prisoners as we could. Any loot taken was ours to keep, but the prisoners were to go to Jorgenfist." He stops for a minute and thinks, then says, "We pasted many other settlements to get here though and prisoners and loot could have been taken in other places. I do not know why Mokmurian sent Teraktinus here. But Teraktinus was blessed with the ancient magics that Mokmurian has awoken. He would have been privileged to know a great number of things that I am not."

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 am

Some follow-up questions for the prisoner. Again, Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks all the way:

1) Describe Mokmurian for us. Is he a stone giant such as yourself?

2) Tell us more about the nature of Mokmurian's power. You mentioned magic and the ancient arts. Are these powers arcane in nature, or are they from the worship of divine powers?

3) You mentioned that your tribe was one of the first called by Mokmurian. How did he come to amass and organize such a powerfully diverse group?

4) When you mentioned indicators for particularly greedy folk as kidnapping targets, you mentioned that one of the indicators was a particular holy symbol. Describe that symbol for us. [Note: Can I make a Knowledge (Religion) check to identify it from his description?]

5) You mentioned that the prisoners you took from this town will be marked and sacrificed at Jorgenfist. Tell us what you know about this ritual, and describe it for us.

6) What sort of place is Jorgenfist? Is it a fortress of some kind, a tower, or a hold within the mountains?

7) You mentioned that your lord, Mokmurian, himself has a master. Whom does Mokmurian serve? Is Mokmurian's master also a stone giant such as yourself?

(A) Not directly asked to the prisoner, but do our Sense Motive checks indicate that he's hiding something from us or has not been otherwise forthright and honest with us?
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:39 pm

1) Describe Mokmurian for us. Is he a stone giant such as yourself?

"He is one of the Plateau People like me. He is small of stature, unusually so. But that is a sign of his great magical power. Magic runs deep in the blood of few stone giants, these few rise through the ranks with their innate magic leading the People to glory."

2) Tell us more about the nature of Mokmurian's power. You mentioned magic and the ancient arts. Are these powers arcane in nature, or are they from the worship of divine powers?

"The Plateau People seldom worship idols. Magic is innate to some few Stone Giants. Learned magic is forbidden."

3) You mentioned that your tribe was one of the first called by Mokmurian. How did he come to amass and organize such a powerfully diverse group?

"He speaks of returning glory to our people. To ruling over the lowlands and becoming uncontested masters of the Plateau. He gives power to those that serve them. He takes his great lieutenants to his secret places and empowers them with his master blessing. Their bodies are transformed and great strength and power is bestowed upon them. He has lead us to many victories and the treasures he has promised his armies have been claimed. Some of the elders resisted at first, but his power is so great they were soon persuaded to follow or they were defeated."

4) When you mentioned indicators for particularly greedy folk as kidnapping targets, you mentioned that one of the indicators was a particular holy symbol. Describe that symbol for us. [Note: Can I make a Knowledge (Religion) check to identify it from his description?]

"The symbol of the Key, was one of the indicators of greed. Fine robes, proprietors of shops, noblemen and women. These were targets given to us."
(The holy symbol of the Key is for the God Abadar - the god of merchants)

5) You mentioned that the prisoners you took from this town will be marked and sacrificed at Jorgenfist. Tell us what you know about this ritual, and describe it for us.

"The ritual is simple and done with little pomp. Prisoners captured are branded with the seven pointed star of Mokmurian and then thrown into the pit in Jorgenfist."
(He will show you the brand that he has on his shoulder that is clearly the Sihedron rune) "This is the symbol of Mokmurian's forces. We wear it proudly and brand our prisoners with it, so their deaths bring glory to Mokmurian!"

6) What sort of place is Jorgenfist? Is it a fortress of some kind, a tower, or a hold within the mountains?

"It is a fortress in the valley. High stone walls reinforced with Mokmurian's magical power. Our armies camp around the outside, so numerous they have become that they all can not be contained in the fortress itself."

7) You mentioned that your lord, Mokmurian, himself has a master. Whom does Mokmurian serve? Is Mokmurian's master also a stone giant such as yourself?

"He refers to him only as his great master. An ancient power that has blessed him. He serves him and says he will join us soon. We will prepare for his coming by conquering the plateaus and setting upon the lowlands."

(A) Not directly asked to the prisoner, but do our Sense Motive checks indicate that he's hiding something from us or has not been otherwise forthright and honest with us?

You don't notice any deception in his words. But get the sense that he wasn't very highly placed or privileged to much information.

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

A few more questions. As always, Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks galore:

1) Why is learned magic forbidden among your people? What is it about learned magic that makes it so taboo?

2) You mentioned that Mokmurian empowers his lieutenants with special powers at secret locations. Is there anything else you can tell us about the nature of these places? Do you have at least some idea of where these places are located, whether inside Jorgenfist or elsewhere?
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am

1) Why is learned magic forbidden among your people? What is it about learned magic that makes it so taboo?

"The Plateau People do not practice magic. It is weakness and we are a strong people. Some few are born with innate magical abilities - these abilities are of earth and stone. The flow in the blood of these few. It is a great blessing. It does not distract from the prowess of a warrior to have these abilities. Learned magic is a weakness, martial prowess is sacrifices in books and study. The Plateau People do not practice that magic, any who would do so are cast out."

2) You mentioned that Mokmurian empowers his lieutenants with special powers at secret locations. Is there anything else you can tell us about the nature of these places? Do you have at least some idea of where these places are located, whether inside Jorgenfist or elsewhere?

"Mokmurian resides under the fortress of Jorgenfist. He takes his strongest lieutenants there before the city for his master to empower them. Jorgenfist is a mighty fortress. In the center is a great pit that leads to caverns below. Mokmurian is the ruler of Jorgenfist and his armies surround the fortress awaiting his command!"
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:30 pm

1. "Where is Longtooth's lair? If you do not know his lair, where else can we find Longtooth?"
2. "How large does Mokmurian's army number?"
3. "How many raiding parties were sent out? Of the raiding parties, was yours a typical size?"
4. "When was your army set to go on the move and attack the lowlands?"
5. "Was the area around Magnimar the focus of the attacks or was Riddleport and Korvosa areas targets as well?"
6. "If we were to release you, where would you go? How do we have assurances you would not simply return to your army and warn them of us as well as fight us again?"

Thus far, I don't think we are strong enough to simply attack the army. The raiding party itself was pretty tough even if we got a big boost at level 10 from our new items and templates. We should warn Magnimar at the very least. We could attack the dragon, guerilla style attack on the army since we can teleport, somehow stealth around, dig the area of the map I thought might have something (The Light rubble) or whatever else you guys can also suggest. I don't know how large an army the other city states can muster or even in time to fend off Mokmurian's army. Incidentally, "The Dark Tower" was the necromancer's place that summoned the original Enivor party in with their dimensional anchor bracers. That or a coincidence of names.
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 pm

1. "Where is Longtooth's lair? If you do not know his lair, where else can we find Longtooth?"
"The dragon has a lair in the mountains near by Jorgenfist, high above the valley."

2. "How large does Mokmurian's army number?"
"In the thousands. The Plateau People are the core of his forces, but many lesser creatures have also gathered to him."

3. "How many raiding parties were sent out? Of the raiding parties, was yours a typical size?"
"At least two others, maybe more that I did not see. Teraktinus and Longtooth were with us, other raid parties did not have such strong leaders or aerial support."

4. "When was your army set to go on the move and attack the lowlands?"
"We will attack when Mokmurian is ready. He has been gathering forces and sending out patrols and raids, he has not directed us to assault yet en mass."

5. "Was the area around Magnimar the focus of the attacks or was Riddleport and Korvosa areas targets as well?"
"I do not know. This town was the target of my raid, not Magnimar or the area around it. Here specifically. We were suppose to wait until the dragon went in first and lit the town on fire. But some of us were eager for battle after the long march. We were instructed to avoid other settlements until we reached here.

6. "If we were to release you, where would you go? How do we have assurances you would not simply return to your army and warn them of us as well as fight us again?"
"I have failed. I will stay on the coast and go to the far north - far away from the Plateau and Mokmurian's wrath. He is not understanding of failures."

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:55 pm

"There is another way. Stromnus, a stone giant like yourself, is a great warrior who is the leader of my people. Under his benign and enlightened rule, we have found a way to live with the people of the lowlands together. We trade and travel as we like safely. My people are respected by the humans. You could join us and show the tribes there are other paths they can choose to follow. You yourself have told us of the fear Mukmurian rules by. Your people and your family do not have to live that way. Our path also leads to one of strength. See how my three friends and myself were able to defeat your entire war band, a war band led by some of your most powerful raid leaders. I give you a choice, run in fear and live like an animal or join us and help bring your people real freedom and a safer life."

Realistically, we could bring him along or I could send him to North Reach, both to help there and to serve as a messenger of the attack.

Regarding the enemy army, I think we have several choices or combination of choices:
1. Send Sheriff Hemlock to Magnimar to gather their army. Alert Vale at Fort Rannick, send Jakardros, Nualia and Shelalu to Riddleport and Korvosa to gather their armies to mutually fend off Mukmurian's army. This gives us a chance to go try and take him out while his army is busy. We aren't strong enough to take them all on. This would take some time though as their armies would have to march towards The Storval Stairs even if Ifurita were to teleport them there in the first place. However, it might also coalesce them to start looking at working together rather than separate nation-states.
2. Attack Longtooth in his/her lair where he is less likely to be as mobile. Also diminishes the chance of the dragon appearing to reinforce the enemy in the middle of our fights. Keeps the towns safe too.
3. Pretend to be mercenaries and insert ourselves in that way.
4. Find whatever they are looking for and lead the enemy away from here.
5. Fly in and sneak underground to kill Mukmurian.
6. Open to other suggestions.
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:57 am

Convincing him to join you is definitely a diplomacy check action since it is attempting to influence him. He is definitely not inclined to join you.

Depending on the results of the diplomacy check he might agree to be a messenger, but he flat out won't fight with you against his own people and Mokmurian. (You might have a better idea of why that is once you scout Jorgenfist)

A couple other comments:

1) Hemlock doesn't have enough pull in Magnimar to get them to march their armies out. You'll need the Lord of Fort Rannick to work on that Smile
2) Riddleport doesn't really have an army. They're a city of thieves and very loose organization. Might be good to warn them, but I wouldn't expect any aid.
3) Korvosa has a standing army and could help, but the Storval Stair is far from their territory. Convincing them to help would be a side adventure for the party. If you guys do want to go this route, I can put something together for a side mission (political intrigue! but it might be fun).
4) Dragon's maneuverability generally isn't good so fly-by attack doesn't work so well in a dragon cave. If you're scouting for the dragon lair around Jorgenfist you may find other caves as well.....

You guys do have an opportunity to buy things in Magnimar before heading out if you have any money left. In addition to the army you know Mokmurian is a caster so you can prepare appropriately.

-JW

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:41 pm

Let me see if I can add some additional persuasion to Wrex's words. And by the way, I will DEFINITELY be making Diplomacy checks throughout this monologue:

"Abraxxus, I want to thank you for answering our questions. You have given us a great deal of useful information, and for that, we are grateful. I feel that such honesty deserves some truth in return. And the truth, Abraxxus, is that you have been lied to by Mokmurian.

You see, the moment we saw the symbol that is branded on your shoulder, we recognized it from our earlier adventures. While your lord, Mokmurian, has adopted it as an emblem for his forces, this symbol has a more extensive significance than you may realize. This symbol is actually a rune that is tied to an evil power. While we do not fully understand everything about this rune or this evil power, we will tell you what we do know.

(I will pull out one of the Sihedron Medallions from our party treasure as evidence.)

In our previous adventures, we encountered certain evil individuals who wanted power through this rune. To do this, they or their minions inscribed the rune upon the flesh of their victims before killing them. The victims were selected because of their demonstrations of certain vices. Wrath is one such vice; greed is another.

You said yourself that your band was instructed to kidnap individuals who were indicated to be particularly greedy. Thus, it stands to reason that Mokmurian gains power by the deaths of those who show greed.

But consider your own words. You said yourself that Mokmurian made overtures to your tribe and to others with promises of power, wealth, and territory. If merely wearing fine clothes is enough to deem someone greedy enough to be sacrificed for power, then surely you and your comrades, who have raided peaceful towns and have harmed innocent life, are just as greedy. And as your comrades are all proudly branded with this rune, you are all apparently just as suitable for sacrifice.

If you succeed in your raids and live, Mokmurian is closer to achieving his goals. If you fail and die, then your deaths provide more power to Mokmurian through this evil ritual. In short, you are not Mokmurian's brethren. Instead, he considers you to be nothing more than sacrificial livestock. For why else would he mark you in a way that he could profit from your death through this heinous ritual?

Now, I am going to make an educated guess about your lord. I am going to guess that he, and perhaps his most powerful and trusted lieutenants as well, may display this rune. They may wear this rune upon their clothing or armor. They may even wear this rune as part of a medallion like the one I have shown you. But I am going to guess that the high leadership of your warband do not actually have this rune inscribed upon their flesh.

The truth is that it doesn't have to to be this way. My comrade, Wrex, has spoken of his people, in North Reach. I urge you to turn away from the dark path of Mokmurian and to join Wrex's people. Several times now, I have heard Wrex speak highly of his honorable leader, Lord Stromnus. I believe that North Reach would be a good home for you. We are not asking you to take up arms against your brethren. We are only asking you to stop taking up arms in the name of Mokmurian. There in North Reach, you will have the opportunity to build a better life for yourself. There, you will have the opportunity to forge an honorable existence for yourself. For as I have said earlier, we do appreciate your honesty with us, and I would hate to see you harmed by your own people or to see you on the other side of the battlefield once more. Think about what you have said to us and what motivated you and your brethren. And consider what I have told you just now. I believe that before long, you will know my words to be true."
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Tue May 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Wrex wrote:"
Regarding the enemy army, I think we have several choices or combination of choices:
1. Send Sheriff Hemlock to Magnimar to gather their army. Alert Vale at Fort Rannick, send Jakardros, Nualia and Shelalu to Riddleport and Korvosa to gather their armies to mutually fend off Mukmurian's army. This gives us a chance to go try and take him out while his army is busy. We aren't strong enough to take them all on. This would take some time though as their armies would have to march towards The Storval Stairs even if Ifurita were to teleport them there in the first place. However, it might also coalesce them to start looking at working together rather than separate nation-states.
2. Attack Longtooth in his/her lair where he is less likely to be as mobile. Also diminishes the chance of the dragon appearing to reinforce the enemy in the middle of our fights. Keeps the towns safe too.
3. Pretend to be mercenaries and insert ourselves in that way.
4. Find whatever they are looking for and lead the enemy away from here.
5. Fly in and sneak underground to kill Mukmurian.
6. Open to other suggestions.

Sorry been outta commission guys more than normal. Anyways, here's my vote:
2>5>4

Basically, option one is out since Magnimar is kinda out. 3 is against my code. I like taking it to the dragon first and get it out of the picture.

Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

https://hoofin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down