DnD and beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roleplaying - Post Thistletop

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roleplaying - Post Thistletop Empty Roleplaying - Post Thistletop

Post  Jeremy44 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am

Post Thistletop Events

Shalelu’s Goblin Report

Shalelu meets the party in the evening at the Rusty Dragon inn. She provides some information on the Goblin tribes in the area. The remains of the Thistletop Goblins are being led by the Druid Gogmurt. He seems to have tamed a great horse and between that and his feral cat, he claimed leadership of the remaining goblins (only a handful that managed to flee the wrath of the longshanks). The Nettlewood goblins attacked Thistletop, but Gogmurt cut the bridge and so they haven’t made much progress. The Mosswood tribe split into two and there is a lot of infighting.

Shalelu says that the Whispermoor had gathered for an attack on Sandpoint from the south. Now that there is no attack on Sandpoint, they moved west and look like they may attack the outlying farms that are south of Sandpoint. The farmers there may need some help defending their lands although that tribe is not particularly numerous (a couple dozen) or fierce (no real Goblin Hero leader). She intends to scout toward the farm lands next and see if she can provide assistance there.

She also thanks you for killing the Bugbear Ranger in your assault on Thistletop. He had been a nuisance in this area for a number of years. She hands you a “wanted” warrant for him from Magnimar. She says it’s from a few years back, but they should still pay it. His bow should be proof enough of the kill. His death is worth 500gp.

The Murders in Sandpoint

The town is buzzing with the recent deaths. The citizens have barely stopped talking about the Goblin raid but now all the rumors are about the recent murders. First three con men were killed a couple days back right after the party left for Magnimar. The sheriff kept it quiet at first but word eventually spread. The con men had previously been thrown out of town by the Sheriff, but even though they were unsavory sorts, they were just thieves and swindlers - not murderous types.

Their bodies were found in a barn just south of Sandpoint at a nearby farm. The farmer that discovered them was appalled at what he discovered and was greatly shaken. The bodies were strung up around the barn with the Siheron carved into their chests. They were sliced up with deep slashes and cuts all over their bodies and their lower jaws were removed.

The second set of murders was at the Lumbermill. Banny Harker was killed in a similar fashion to the three con men. However, Katrina Vinder was also killed, but she was pushed into a log splitter and not killed in the ritualistic fashion of the others. It is rumored that Katrina was seeing Banny late at night. One of Banny’s coworkers also said that he was stealing from the owners of the Lumbermill (Titus Sarnetti) by embezzling small amounts by overselling lumber on his shifts.

The Sheriff took Katrina’s father Ven Vinder into custody. He is known to be extremely protective of his daughters (Katrina and Shayliss) and might have gone after Banny if he found out about their tryst or if he suspected Banny had killed Katrina. The Sheriff will confide in the party though that he doesn’t really think Ven could kill anyone and certainly not in the ritualistic way Banny was displayed. The only other clue at the scene was an axe that had a foul smelling ichor on the blade, like blackened blood with a rotting stench. The axe didn’t have any human blood on it so it was likely wielded by Banny or Katrina at the scene and not by the killer.
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Roleplaying - Post Thistletop Empty Re: Roleplaying - Post Thistletop

Post  Hoofin Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 pm

"Is there any assistance that I or my allies can provide with the outlying farms? I imagine that the farmers would not be able to defend themselves from such an incursion, although I have seen even the most timid bear fierce arms when their families and livelihood were at stake. Sarenrae's will seems to have aligned me with powerful allies, more or less aligned with my cause. Please do not hesitate to call on us.

As for the reward for the bugbear's (*I spit here*) demise, I graciously decline. My reward is in knowing it will never reek havock on good again. My allies may claim my portion of the reward as I assume that maintenance of magics and equipment may cost some gold. Good day Lady Shalelu **diplomacy check and bow**"

I would like to take the axe to have the blood investigated by the church. Would they be able to find out if it is "undead" blood?
Also, if Rex is "deputized", I would followup with the Sheriff to also seek deputization. If he thinks Rex is enough, I would request Rex to provide field "trial & sentencing" of those "future surrenderees".
To the sheriff: "I must confess that evil is devious, and when the odds are stacked against them, they flee or surrender. In the latter case, I must spare them KNOWING they will turn on my allies, in accordance with our laws of trial and sentencing. In the field, this constantly jeopardizes the mission. I plead you allow Rex or myself to provide field sentencing. You know that by my oath, I would provide them the fairest judgement that the situation would allow, and all decisions/actions would be recorded for documentation in Sandpoint. What say you Sheriff? **Roll diplomacy**"

Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

https://hoofin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Sidenote:
Thosose was a necromancer...just sayin. Smells fishy Smile
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Father Zantus will be able to identify the blood as "the ichor of some creature born of undeath" (bonus party xps for figuring that out).

As far as justice goes. The Sheriff of Sandpoint does not have authority to carry out field sentencing (nor does his deputy). Sentencing and trial can only be done in Magnimar for capital offenses. For minor offenses the Mayor of Sandpoint serves as judge for the Sheriff.

Those directly appointed in Magnimar may have more authority to enforce the law directly. And certainly when adventuring outside of Magnimar's jurisdiction (or out side any city-state jurisdiction) field enforcement of the laws is more common, with God as the ultimate judge.

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:42 pm

"Party" bonus xps? FINNNNEEE!!!!!
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gravime Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:30 am

Can't I use my character's high intelligence to determine what the blood was from? I'll roll for it bounce
gravime
gravime

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:25 am

Yes Ray there are a number of skills you can use.

Knowledge (arcana) - Is this supernatural blood?
Knowledge (dungeoneering) - Is this the blood of something from underground?
Knowledge (local) - Is this the blood of something found in this region?
Knowledge (nature) - Is this the blood of some natural creature?
Knowledge (planes) - Is this demon blood (or angel blood)?
Knowledge (religion) - Is this undead blood?

You can roll any of these you have. Your high intelligence makes it likely you will at least get the yes/no answers above. If you roll well you could even find out the creature type, the specific creature, the amount of damage done by the blow to result in that much blood, or how fresh the blood is.

Or you can do what Paul did and hand it to someone smarter to figure out for him. Bonus xps are for figuring it out, however you go about it.

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  gravime Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 am

So do you want to watch me roll for it over webcam? Let the fun continue!
gravime
gravime

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 am

Oohh...lets try a virtual session!!!!
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 am

Next time I'll just hand all my stuff for questioning to Ray's character!!! Geez mage, take it easy, thats a lotta high skill points you got
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 pm

I'm trying to get the individual emails out today.

For a virtual session, check out the Roll20 site I setup - https://app.roll20.net/join/71481/q0e2zA

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:42 pm

Sorry, I haven't been paying much attention to this section until only recently.

1) Can we examine or investigate the bodies to find out more details as to how each victim was killed?
2) Can we ask around town to see if there is some sort of relationship or connection between Banny Harker and the 3 con men, since their deaths seem similar to each other?
3) Can we examine the murder scenes and the area surrounding the murder scenes more closely to any idea about how they happened?
4) Can we ask around town about Titus Sarnetti's finances to see why he wouldn't/didn't notice the embezzlement that had taken place?
5) Can we do some research as to whether there is some historical or ritualistic significance to the way the 3 con men and Banny Harker were murdered, such as the removal of the lower jaw (possible spell/ritual component?) or the patterns of the cuts (is it meant to drain blood from the victims faster, or does the pattern have some meaning to an evil religion?)

That's about all I can think of for now.

- Vito
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 am

How much downtime is around? I'd like to purchase a couple CLW or CMW wands from party treasure if its possible? Better yet, make them ourselves if there is time?

Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 pm

You're investigating the murder and it should take about a week before the next event happens.

Wands cost = spell level X caster level X 750gp
(You have to have somewhere to purchase from though and no one in Sandpoint sells wands, Magnimar might have some though)

To craft a wand you have to have the Craft Wand feat.
Crafting cost is half the sell price (as above). Note that you can create at a lower caster level if you want (but the caster level can't be lower than the minimum to cast the spell level).
Craft time = 1 day per 1000gp of crafting cost

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Answers to Simon's questions:

1) Can we examine or investigate the bodies to find out more details as to how each victim was killed?
Banny was killed with some sort of sharp bladed weapon (and his body mutilated with the same weapon). It was precise though so not and axe or a two-handed sword. Something smaller and very sharp.
Katrina was killed by being pushed in the the log splitter which splitter her and then her corpse got stuck in the splitter splitting her a second and third time.

2) Can we ask around town to see if there is some sort of relationship or connection between Banny Harker and the 3 con men, since their deaths seem similar to each other?
None that anyone knows. A diplomacy check might help with this (I assume you took 10 and gave you that level).

3) Can we examine the murder scenes and the area surrounding the murder scenes more closely to any idea about how they happened?
The first scene was an ambush. At least one of the con men was killed from behind.

4) Can we ask around town about Titus Sarnetti's finances to see why he wouldn't/didn't notice the embezzlement that had taken place?
He didn't know money was being taken. Now that he does, he wants it back!

5) Can we do some research as to whether there is some historical or ritualistic significance to the way the 3 con men and Banny Harker were murdered, such as the removal of the lower jaw (possible spell/ritual component?) or the patterns of the cuts (is it meant to drain blood from the victims faster, or does the pattern have some meaning to an evil religion?)
Religion check (take 10). You don't know why the jaw was removed but you suspect with a higher knowledge roll or with the right type of knowledge you would. It's not a religious or cult thing though. Likewise the Sihedron isn't a religious symbol, more arcane.

-JW

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:36 pm

Does anyone in the group have craft wand?
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gravime Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:42 am

I have craft alchemy...how hard would it be to learn craft wand...do I need to wait a level for skill points?
gravime
gravime

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 am

You need the craft wand feat, and only then you can make wands of spells you can cast bud...so a CLWounds wand would need to be made by me or Si.

On a positive note, you should make a wand of magic missles, you could do that every round for every fight per adventure Smile Making a wand of MMissle is pretty cheap and gives you 50 charges, pretty good and gives you lotta options. Its nice and at higher levels you really wont use your 1st level stuff that much except for RP. I think at our level, wands are like the most bang for buck.

My guy is so feat starved, I have to be very careful how I spend them, so not sure if I'm picking up wand making or not...yet. Depends if Si has it or not Smile
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  VitoOracle Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:34 am

I'll probably pick up craft wand at some point. Because people tend to get starved for feats, we shouldn't duplicate magic item creation feats among ourselves.

Also, because of how magic item creation works, making magic items tends to be prohibitively expensive for paladins and rangers, most of the time.
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am

True Si. Make a couple wands of CLW i say, and spread around to folks who can use wands.

Jer, how hard is it to purchase or craft mithril armor? Doesn't seem too costly in PF books, wanna try and pick up a set of med mithril armor for the full movement.

Also, for spells, are we only going PF core? On the PFSRD website, the spells listing is much more comprehensive for converted spells b/c they have other citations besides core. Can we start choosing white binder spells, or at least a 2-3 we can convert? I can attempt to convert them and email you?

Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm

For making cure light wounds wands, you're better off just paying full price and not picking up the feat. Unless Simon wants to invest in the feat for more other types of wands. And even then you'd have to decide if the party wants arcane wands or divine or both. Because of the feat investment might not be worth while at later levels (it's good at low levels though).

Buying a level 1 CL cure light wounds wand is about 1,500gp. And you could probably find a place to buy it in Magnimar. It's a minor item so there is a good chance that it would be there. There is a table for figuring out the chance of an item being in the town and I'll modify the results based on diplomacy checks used to gather information (on where it might be sold in the town).

Mithril armor may be available in Magnimar as well depending on the type you want we could roll the chance for it. For the cost it would be the PF base, modified by diplomacy checks and availability. See the table on the cost and effects (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/special-materials#TOC-Mithral). So for a medium suit of non-magical mithril you're looking at 4000gp+ the base armor cost.

Core spells for now. Other sources and binder spells can be converted. I haven't gone through any of them yet. If there are ones you're interested in I would suggest sending me the source text (or adapted text if you're doing it yourself) and I'll review it and then add it to the new binders for PF. And we'll just build up a library as we go.

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm looking for Mithril Breastplate (best medium armor)...so cost wise I think I'm looking at 4200 total, unmodified by diplomacy talking it down. Not sure we even have that individually to spend, so it depends how much I can talk it down...
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Diplomacy is like a 5% or 10% discount and the cost could be higher than book list if it's rare in the city. So we'll have to roll it out. You're probably going to be shorter for a bit though.

Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Damn, guess Im sporting a chain shirt for awhile longer then. Enemies aren't going to take me seriously and will keep on trying to kill us. Hmmm...maybe this IS better....lol
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next