DnD and beyond
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Individual Downtime Flashbacks

5 posters

Go down

Individual Downtime Flashbacks Empty Individual Downtime Flashbacks

Post  VitoOracle Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:41 pm

I guess I'll kick this off, but some additional background:

Vito was adopted by a retired human bard who, after she stopped adventuring, became a trusted administrator in the court of the city of Korvosa. Korvosa is located further east on the continent of Varisia. Our party has been adventuring on the same continent, over in the southwest.

Right around the time we began investigating the Skinsaw murders, she sent me a magical message, warning me about unrest and danger to the north. She also asked that I seek safety back at the city of Korvosa for my own protection. During our downtime, I head over there and meet up with my adopted mother. From there, we have an audience with the rulers of the city of Korvosa, who are the masters of the great floating castle, the Citadel.
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Individual Downtime Flashbacks Empty Re: Individual Downtime Flashbacks

Post  VitoOracle Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 pm

During the six months of downtime you receive another magical whisper from your mother. This one tells you that she’s gone to Korvosa and asking if you have some time to visit her there. Putting aside your studies for a few weeks you make a trek to Korvosa to see her.

Korvosa

Korvosa is a large metropolis, even more massive than Magnimar - and certainly a lot better maintained. The Monarch of Korvosa maintains the basic infrastructure of the city and the massive sea port brings in a lot of trade to the city.

But it isn’t the only avenue for trade from far away lands. As you approach the city you see what appears to be a huge castle completely uprooted from the ground floating out over the harbor of the city. This castle isn’t even a normal human sized castle, but rather scaled for giants. It hovers out over the harbor and an enormous rope bridge slopes down from the gates to the end of one of the piers.

At the base of the pier you can see many tents and makeshift shops set up - some by the residence of the castle and others by local merchants trading with them. Making your way through the city you hear general excitement among the population for the arrival of “The Citadel”. Apparently the floating castle comes to Korvosa every few years from the far away southern continent of Dalaron.

Following her instructions you reach a small townhouse in a well-to-do neighborhood. Before you knock the door opens and your mother, Maeve, greets you. She welcomes you inside and the two of you catch up on the happenings of each other’s lives. She hears your tales of adventure and she tells you about her relocation to Korvosa.

Maeve

She says that while Nybor is still safe enough, unrest on the Storval Plateau was bound to spill over to the low lands eventually and the border towns are the hardest hit. She decided to return to Korvosa reasoning that it would be the safest among the cities. Even though there is often intrigue among the court and the grand families of the city, the skilled working class and merchants tend not to be affected. The affluence of the city is also a welcome change to her lifestyle as her desire to settle down in one place has increased.

She also says the timing of your trip is perfect. The Citadel just recently appeared on the southern horizon. The Citadel is a magnificent castle that floats in the air through powerful magics. It is a city in its own right and ruled by the benevolent High Priest Cidalfus Elaundu.

The southern seas have been cut off from travel by ship for the last two hundred years due to the great Maelstrom. But the Citadel can traverse the skies above the Maelstorm and continue trade between the continents. However it moves very slowly and also stops on the eastern side of Enivor (and probably a few locations on the continent of Dalaron). Hence it only makes it to Korvosa every few years.

When it does come though it brings great trade. Very high end goods from the southern continent. And the merchants and citizens that live on the Citadel buy goods from the north to take back to the south. There is an impromptu bizarre setup at the pier the castle docks at.

In addition to the trade though, even more valuable is the information the Citadel brings. The Citadel brings news from the south and the order of priests that make their home on the Citadel are devoted to divine studies, researching histories and philosophies, having great debates and civil discourse on a wide range of topics. Indeed even the Monarch of Korvosa and many of the nobles will go up to the Citadel for audiences with the High Priest and to participate in discussions with the others of the order.

The Citadel also has an elite fighting force of Holy Knights. An unmatched paladin order that protects the Citadel and ensures peace is maintained. They defend the wealth of the Citadel and enforce order wherever the Citadel docks. Between the tactical advantage of the flying castle and the might of their military order no kingdom, even the massive Korvosa, would think to assault the Citadel.

The Citadel

After describing the Citadel and its impact on Korvosa she says, “Many years ago when I worked with the court of the Monarchy I went up to the Citadel with the noble families of Korvosa. The society of the Citadel is truly wondrous to behold - so enlightened and refined. I participated as fully as I could in the short time it was docked at the city, returning many days on my own. While it was at the city, I was granted an invitation to return any time. I plan on going down to the Citadel this evening to see if my invitation still stands. Do you wish to accompany me?”

After agreeing to go up to the Citadel, Maeve wastes little time preparing. She changes into a plain white robe, donnes some jewelry and takes a pouch of gold from a drawer. You put your belongings down and turn your cloak inside out to show less travel stains, then the two of you are off.

The pier where the castle is docked proves to be a challenge. Hundreds of people pressed into a small space all trying to do business with each other. The priests and merchants from the Citadel all wear white robes and cloaks with gold trim. Making them stand out from the crowd. Holy Knights from the Citadel wear silver armor polish to a mirror shine with white shields and cloaks as well. The Holy Knights are given a wide breadth on the street and their mere presences inspires order around them.

Making it through the throng at the end of the pier you walk down the length of the pier to the bridge. Other merchants are talking with the Holy Knights at the bottom of the bridge and you see them firmly turned away. A Holy Knight with a diagonal red stripe across his shield speaks with each and as you approach he addresses you, “Access to the Citadel is by invitation only, your name please.” He has lightly colored grey eyes and a penetrating stare that is slightly uncomfortable to hold for more than a few seconds.

Your mother quickly speaks up “Maeve Burton, and my son, I had an invitation many years ago and was...” before she can finish the Knight steps to the side and says “You may pass, you have an open invitation here for any time.” Your mother graciously curtsies and you follow suit with an awkward bow. And then you ascend up the rope bridge.

Unlike the other rope bridges you’ve been on, this one is massive. With 40 foot wide planks of a solid white wood it neither sways in the air or seems affected by your weight as you traverse upward. It’s like walking on a well paved road that ramps slowly uphill. Small groups of merchants and priests occasionally pass you making their way down from the Citadel and other groups seem to be returning from the mainland, but you see no others from the city going up to the Citadel. Indeed you seem to stand out somewhat as the only one that is not wearing white. Which attracts an occasional stare, but nothing more than that.

In the Citadel you can see a massive open area in the middle before a large keep within the castle walls. There are Holy Knights drilling on the parade ground with patrols around the Citadel in a state of high readiness. Merchants having picked up goods down in the city are already trading among themselves in an open air market. To the side of the keep entrance you see a gigantic amphitheater has been set up.

Made of wood instead of the solid stone of the rest of the keep, it is evident that it was not part of the original structure - it’s also built on a scale for humans and not for giants like the rest of the Citadel. Many people already sit in the audience while stage workers prepare for some sort of large production. The amphitheater seating runs right up to the side of the keep wall. Your mother catches her breath audible when her gaze reaches the top of the keep wall overlooking the amphitheater.

The Rulers

Atop the wall you see two figures standing talking with each other as they watch the preparations below. One is an older gentleman with white hair and heavy white robes trimmed in gold. He seems to be unadorn by jewelry but for a holy symbol around his neck. Although he is somewhat stooped by age he has wide shoulders and gestures broadly as he talks displaying a virility and youth that belies his appearance.

Next to him the other gentleman is mature but does not appear as old. He wears the silver armor a Holy Knight and carries a sword, but no shield. He has light brown hair streaked with white and a short well cropped beard. His skin is tan in contrast to his pale companion and his green eyes burn brightly with exuberant energy. Both men look human but have an otherworldly quality to them that you immediately recognize as at least part celestial.

Without straying her gaze from the pair, your mother whispers softly to you, “That is the High Priest Cidalfus and the Commander of the Holy Knights Galen.” You see her glance around area and then she starts to lead you toward the nearest merchant pavilion. Before you get more than a few feet though a clear voice rings out, “Meave!” With the agility of a much younger man the Commander of the Holy Knights leaps over the side of the battlement and glides softly down through the air toward you. His face split in a broad grin, the crinkles of age showing around the edge of his eyes but the eyes themselves show no hint of weariness or age.

As he reaches the ground he takes two quick strides and bows deeply before your mother and says, “I wasn’t sure you’d come, but I’m overjoyed to see you.” His gaze turns toward you and he says “Your son I presume” he bows again in your direction as your mother quickly interjects “Yes my adopted son Vito.”

“Adopted perhaps, but I can see he has inherited your spirit and your will. An honor to meet you young Vito. Welcome to the Citadel.” Turning back to your mother he continues, “We have much to discuss, it’s been so long. Come with me to the top of battlement, Cid and I are watching them rehearse for the performance this evening.” He extends a hand to each of you and all three of you glide gently up in the air to the top of the wall.

As you reach the top you feel the eyes of the crowd below on your back, but they are nothing compared to the piercing gaze of the older man before you. His grey eyes have a similar effect to the guardsman at the bridge to the Citadel, seeming to look right to your soul. With the weight of immense wisdom behind them you feel as if he knows everything about you with just a glance. He doesn’t hold your gaze for long though, quickly smiling tightly and nodding to you, “Welcome my young friend and welcome back Maeve. I hope you decide to stay with us this time.” With a mischievous glint in his eye he continues, “Galen was inconsolable for weeks after your last visit.” Maeve seems startled, and for the first time in your life you see her off balance and at a loss for words. Galen smoothly cuts in, “I always knew she’d come back to us, it was just a matter of time - and we have plenty of that.” You almost detect a trace of bitterness in his voice as his sentence trails off. But it only lasts for a beat before his excitement resurfaces.

The Story

Galen gestures to the amphitheater below, “They will put on a grand performance tonight for the Monarchy of Korvosa. The story of Dal Perimorre. It’s important for the rulers to be ever vigilant. No matter how great their armies are, how strong their magic, how devote their faith - there is always evil in the world that must be fought.” Cidalfus adds, “Maeve have you told our young friend here of the history of Enivor?”

Your mother responds playfully, “Yes, but of course not in the amount of detail that you can.” You detect a slight smirk in her response and Galen does as well giving a slight chuckle under his breath. Cidalfus flashes an irritated look at Galen and then continues, “Come over and watch the performers practice and I’ll narrate.”

As he speaks the performers below dance and mime out the scene before you. Even as you watch the illusion of Cid’s words becomes animated before you. Magic infuses the performance and brings the scene to life as if you were actually there - seeing, hearing, and even smelling the world as it is described.

“It was a dark time. Great powers of evil walked the world. They had thrown down the powers of light and only scattered shards remained to resist. The warlord known as the Conqueror came to power in the Northern Mountains of Enivor. The Conqueror had three sons that ruled the land, laying waste to the countries that stood against him and enforcing his will.”

“The three sons were: El’vort - a powerful warrior like the Conqueror himself who lead the Conqueror’s armies; Qualk - an assassin used to great effect to leave opposing armies and countries leaderless; And Thossose - a dark necromancer who created abominations like a lethal disease that ravaged the minds of other arcane spell casters or desecrations of the land like the Blood Wood that still stands today.”

“Those that opposed the Conqueror gathered together in a city called Iron Mountain. It was a legendary island where arcane casters had gathered to protect themselves from the disease Thossose had created. In Iron Mountain the resistance planned their final attack on the Conqueror and his sons.

“They split into four groups, each one would confront one of the threats. The timing was to be perfect, to assault all of them at once and prevent them from reinforcing each other. They set their best against the Conqueror’s best. They sent powerful warriors against the Conqueror himself. They sent their best assassins after Qualk. They sent their mightiest casters against Thossose. And to retake Dal Perimorre from El’vort they sent Cidalfus and Galen.”

“They were not sent alone though. El’vort had command of vast armies firmly entrenched in Dal Perimorre. To defeat those armies they took what little soldiers remained in the resistance. Former knights of Dal Perimorre, elven refugees, and their own devote followers. To defeat El’vort they took with them a pair of fierce Bugbear warriors from the distant isle of Valenfall - Uthgart and Grom.”

“They all boarded the Citadel flew to Dal Perimorre assaulting it from the air. They used the mass of the castle to crash into the palace of Dal Perimorre and start the battle behind the enemy lines close to El’vort himself. It was a lengthy fight with the soldier on each side locked in combat for hours. Galen and the soliders held the line at the palace door, preventing the armies from entering while Cidalfus, Uthgart, and Grom fought El’vort in the throne room.

“El’vort was a beastly creature, malformed and augmented by dark magics and cruel experiments to be a fighting machine. Back and forth he battled the two Bugbears and slowly they wore him down. Many times Cidalfus appealed to the gods to heal and revive his companions. And eventually they wore him down.”

“Galen held the doors until the last possible moment, then be the armies broke through, the two warriors dealt El’vort crippling blows. Attacking from opposite sides they strung together deft combinations to disable and disarm their foe. Even close to death El’vort’s arrogance and malevolence was unmatched and he struck back with tooth and claw to bring them down with him. But Cidalfus was there once final time, using his magics to shield them from harm. And in their last attack they decapitated the monstrosity.”

“As the armies of the Conqueror burst through the doors Grom held the head of El’vort high for all to see. While Uthgart stood over the body with weapons still impaling it. Seeing their leader fall the demoralized army’s attacks faltered and they fell back. Galen and Cidalfus treated the wounded and retired to the Citadel. They stayed overlooking Dal Perimorre for many days until all of the Conqueror’s forces had dispersed and the scattered motes of light could return.”

“It was only after they discovered the fate of their companion’s attacks. All successful, but at high cost. Iron Mountain had been sucked into the great Maelstrom and it was no more. Perishing with it were the great arcane spellcasters of the resistance and forever blocked was the sea between the northern and southern continents.”

“Cidalfus and Galen resolved that the Citadel should be that bridge between Dalaron and Enivor. Keeping information and trade flowing, spreading order, and always being a bastion to the forces of light. Ever vigilant against the return of darkness.”

The stage below goes dark around a single point of light that slowly expands to light the entire amphitheater. Galen gives loud applause and yells down to the performers, “Well done!” and then he turns and bows to Cidalfus, “And you my friend, an excellent narration. A shame you’ll have to do it all over again tonight.”

With a smirk Cidalfus takes a small white crystal from his robes and holds it before him channeling energy briefly the crystal resonates with his voice, “It was a dark time. Great powers...”. He stops channeling and says “You don’t think I wanted to do that live did you?” Galen grins and clasps him on the shoulder. Despite the fact that you now know them to be several hundred years old. They seems as young companions heading out on their first adventure.

The rest of the day is spent in conversation and preparations for the evening. Cidalfus excuses himself attends to matters of the Citadel. Galen is pestered several times by various functionaries, but he dismisses them with quick answers and continues talking with you and Maeve. Later that evening you witness the Monarch of Korsova and a large entourage of nobleman from the five ruling houses gather in the amphitheater. Cidalfus and Galen greet them in formal fashion while you and Maeve are taken to the side for a private meal and given rooms in the Citadel.

The Citadel stays in Korvosa for several weeks. During that time, you study with the priests of the Citadel, learning more about their divine connection to the gods. There are many young priests studying at the libraries and Cidalfus comes by often to engage the acolytes in conversation and debate.

Your mother seems to spend most her time with Galen as he carries out his duties for the Citadel. Overseeing the Lieutenants leading the Holy Knights in drills, receiving security reports on the defenses of the Citadel and the activities in Korvosa, and resolving disputes among the merchants. She seems to take well to the da-to-day administrative processes that surround Galen and tries to provide him assistance where she can.

You see how happy she is with life at the Citadel and it is no surprise to you when, as the Citadel prepares to leave Korvosa, your mother decides to stay. She bids you well on your journey and says she will send you whispers often. Cidalfus also wishes you well. He praises your aptitude for the divine and encourages you to think on the teachings you have learned at the Citadel as you gain more experience out in the world.

Galen tells you that you have an open invitation to return to the Citadel any time. In particular he insists that when the Citadel returns to Korvosa in a few years you come by for another visit. He gives you a firm handshake and you can feel a celestial affinity with his nature. A genuine warmth and compassion. He wishes you good luck in your travels as you leave to return to Sandpoint.
VitoOracle
VitoOracle

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:18 am

Mike,

Here's what happens during the downtime for Wrex. There is other time to do the crafting or other things you might want to do in North Reach. Enjoy the story, everyone got something a little different so I'd encourage you to share if you want more of the picture.

-JW

-------------------

Wrex Flashback

During the six months of downtime you made a trek back to North Reach. It’s about a month journey each way, but you are familiar with the roads and able to make the trip without incident. Upon arriving in North Reach you are greeted by the other Rock Trolls. It is immediately apparent that you commands more respect among the Trolls than you use to.

Return to North Reach
You returns to your quarters in the city that have been kept for you (and other couriers) but before you can get settled in Amerak stops by. The veteran Troll tells you to gather your belongings, you have been moved to one of the private barracks.

The private barracks are kept for warrior Trolls that range out into the world on missions for North Reach (as oppose to the quarters set aside for couriers or the craftsman or the private homes in the city). Amerak and a number of other veterans also live in the private barracks. You are given a small suite there, it includes a main room with three side rooms for other activities (bedroom, training room, study - or whatever you want to make of them). Amerak says your achievements have been recognized by the leaders of North Reach. Word is that you are viewed very favorably by the ruler of Magnimar, and with Magnimar being one of the three main cities of the western area, that carries a lot of weight with the Rock Trolls.

Amerak also says that you are invited to a gathering this evening in the great hall. Stromnus is going to address the Rock Trolls there - something he does very rarely. Since you are back in North Reach and now of a higher rank among the Rock Trolls your attendance is requested.

The Gathering
In the Great Hall massive tables have been packed in and many Rock Trolls eat and drink. It’s not particularly formal, but the presence of Stromnus at the head of the room keeps the gathering a little more subdued.

Stromnus is a massive Stone Giant, large in stature with broad shoulders he towers above the Rock Trolls. Seemingly unaffected by age he easily moves around the crowded room, stopping briefly to engage small groups in conversation. His voices is low and firm. At his right hand a large female Rock Troll (Nimira) tracks his movements and periodically joins the conversations with him briefly.

Stromnus approaches Amerak and says, “Good to see you back to full strength Amerak. I will make some remarks here this evening but I wish to converse with you in private later. Please come by my quarters later this evening.” With a side glance toward you he says, “Bring the young warrior with you.” Amerak nods his approval and the Stromnus moves on through the crowd.

When he completes a full circuit of the room he comes to the front and stands by his seat. He raises his hand to the crowd and the room quickly draws to silence. He then says, “Once again the time has come for me to leave North Reach.” He pauses and surveys the crowd, but the well disciplined Rock Trolls hold back any reaction. “I have heard news from many of you that there is unrest on the Stoval Plateau. Stone giant tribes we have traded with, ask for more weapons and armor. Couriers and merchants have been accosted on well travelled roads. I suspect that old tribal grudges have flared up once again.”

Again he pauses, none of the Rock Trolls present seem surprised by the news. “I will not have North Reach become involved in the squabbling. We will hold off on further trade with the tribes until the unrest passes. It is not out to the Stoval Plateau that I plan to travel.”

“I will head east to the Blood Wood. As I have before, I will provide assistance to our allies there. They face the same challenges they always have, trying to heal the world of that dreadful scar. I trust all to remain vigilant and guard our mountains, our homes, and our forges. Nimira will rule in my stead and I will be in contact with her. Now let us continue to feast!”

Meeting
Later that evening you accompany Amerak to Stromuns’s quarters. It’s not quite a palace, but certainly a very large building set in the external wall of the cavern. It has an outer balcony looking over the mountain side to the south and a balcony on the interior that looks over the city within the cavern. Stromnus is out on the balcony overlooking the city taking in the view as you approach. He turns and ushers you back inside, to what could only be described as a study. A large room with books, both giant sized and human sized, line the walls - a heavy square stone table sits in the middle of the room with stone benches on each side.

Nimira starts a fire in the broad fireplace and Stromnus pulls a bench over, gesturing for you and Amerak to do the same. Once you are all seated he says, “Young Wrex I have heard much about you and your reputation in Magnimar may become important. It is essential for North Reach to have trusted eyes and hands throughout the world. I have few agents in the west and it is possible that you or Amerak will run across something of importance. I need to make sure that you recognize it. That you know what it is I seek in this world.”

His voice lowers as he looks into the fire, “The unrest we face now is not important. Tribes argue with each other, humans go to war, dragons roam the wild. They have impact, surely, and they must be resolved - innocence must be protected and evil vanquished. But these conflicts are not devastating to the world itself. I lived in a time that was.”

The Story
“I lived in a time when great powers darkened the world. Two hundred years ago a warlord known as the Conqueror came to power in the Northern Mountains of Enivor. The Conqueror had three sons that walked the land laying waste to the countries that stood against him and enforcing his will.”

“The three sons were: El’vort - a powerful warrior like the Conqueror himself who lead the Conqueror’s armies; Qualk - an assassin used to great effect to leave opposing armies and countries leaderless; And Thossose - a dark necromancer who created abominations like a lethal disease that ravaged the minds of other arcane spell casters or desecrations of the land like the Blood Wood that still stands today.”

“Those that opposed the Conqueror gathered together in a city called Iron Mountain. It was a legendary island where arcane casters had gathered to protect themselves from the disease Thossose had created. In Iron Mountain we planned our final attack on the Conqueror and his sons. Had we failed I have no illusions that the world of today would not exist as it does.”

“We made a plan, four groups, each one would confront one of the threats. The timing was to be perfect, to assault all of them at once and prevent them from reinforcing each other. Strength against strength. We sent powerful warriors and priests after El’vort. We sent our best assassins after Qualk. We sent our casters against Thossose. And I took the battle to the palace of the Conqueror itself.”

“Accompanying me were some of my closest friends and comrades. Magdelyn Wolfbane the knight from Valenfall. Morigan the ferocious druid shapeshifter. And Bradok’Tor. A thorn orc warrior and nearly my equal in combat.”

“For our part it was a bloody battle, we drove into the caverns of the Northern Mountains. Fought our way deep through the armies of the Conqueror. His main force was south in Dal Perimorre, but he kept his elite forces back, close to him. Wave after wave we fought through. We battled singled file in small tunnels and took to the air fighting inside vast caverns. It was in one such cavern that housed the Conqueror’s Palace.”

“We cut down his demonic minions as we approached and before his palace I called him out to single combat. My allies were exhausted, but they held the demon’s at bay and his forces halted their attack as he emerged from his palace. His pride and arrogance compelled him to accept my challenge - although I would take my allies over his had I not challenged him he may not have emerged to fight in time for our planned simultaneous strikes.”

“The Conqueror was not physically impressive. A dark human, I towered over his puny height, but as he drew his weapon and walked down the steps of his palace to engage me he grew with each step. By the time he reached the bottom his size rivaled my own and the first swing of his morningstar bore a strength I had never known.”

“Still with the Sword of Stromnus I parried him and purposefully swept my blade in a circle on the ground infusing the earth as a Circle of Might. So deeply it cut and so powerful was the magic of the blade that the Circle is still there to this day.”

“The Conqueror fell that day.”

“We narrowly escaped the collapse of his caverns triggered by his death. But I took his head to be sure he never was able to rise again.” As he finishes the description of his fight with the Conqueror you can see immense pride and lingering anger in his eyes. Just for a moment the calm, solid exterior of the stone giant ruler of North Reach is gone and you glimpse the ferocious warrior. The mighty veteran of untold campaigns that tested his mettle against the greatest evil the world had to offer and walked away victorious.

It’s just a glimpse, then the ruler of North Reach speaks again, “Each group was successful, by the end of the day the Conqueror and all three of his sons were slain. But the day was not without casualties. The battle against Thossose started in the Blood Wood, but ended in Iron Mountain. The dark necromancer drew on unknown powers and with his death all of Iron Mountain faded from existence. The stored arcane knowledge of the world disappeared with it. The most powerful mages....”

“I received a magical message from one of the mages, El-thalas, he gave me the message that Thossose had been defeated, but that the reality of Iron Mountain had shifted. He thought they would be able to figure it out shortly and regroup with the rest of us in Dal Perimorre. Instead I never heard from him again.”

“For 200 years I’ve searched this world. I’ve searched other worlds that this world touches. Demi planes, shadow realms, the astral, the outlands - there has been no sign of Iron Mountain. They are gone. But I continue to search.”

“And this is what I ask of you. As you make your way in this world, be mindful of any whisper, any rumor, any hint that might lead to Iron Mountain. Arcane magics in this world are crippled without the knowledge gathered there. And if my allies are there I’m certain they search for a way to return. 200 years is not so long to wizards.”

“Of course, as I said the challenges of the day must be met. Evil must not be allowed to flourish again and grow into something like the Conqueror.”

“I’m sure you have many questions, but these are all the answers I can give you right now. I must speak with others and be on my way to the Blood Wood this evening. If you find anything come back here and speak with Nimira. She can communicate with me if there is need.”

“I thank you both for taking on this task for me. You are loyal and strong and you bring much pride to North Reach.”

With that he returns to the balcony looking over his city and Nimira escorts you out.
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:35 am

Caius Flashback

During the six months of downtime you have an interesting encounter one evening. While out late one night on the streets tending to some matters for the Glassworks you see a stranger wandering the town. You see him walk back and forth up the length of Tower street and back several time.

The Stranger
He appears to be human sized but wrapped in a dark robe and hood so you can’t see his features. He carries a tapered staff of wood, but even at a distance you can see runes inscribed up and down it’s length. Your natural sensitivity toward magic alerts you to the powerful nature of the staff and its wielder.

After making a few more passes, the stranger seems to disappear and you cautiously head back to the Glassworks. As you reach the door and prepare to enter you hear a low voice behind you say, “Curiouser and curiouser.” Turning quickly and reaching for your sword you see the figure across the street from you.

He holds up his hands widely and says, “I meant no offense. It’s just strange to see a Drow wandering the streets here. I knew drow many years ago - damn things turned on me. I assume you’re not breaking in there?” He seems to be half thinking out loud to himself and half attempting to engage you in conversation.

You cautiously step forward to get a better look at the stranger. Under his hood you see a deep green skin color, almost black, with black hair and dark black eyes rimmed in an unnatural gray. He has a long black beard tucked under his robes which are also black but with dark green trim to match his skin. The staff is made of a dark wood with inscriptions spiraling around it’s length.

While he appears human there is something about his proportions that are slightly off. He seems quite thin, but at the same time broad shouldered with a large bone structure. He carries himself awkwardly as if aged, but his appearance seems to be no older than your father. Before you can inspect further he says sharply, “Storm giant. That is why you’re having trouble figuring me. I’m reduced in size of course. I don’t want to alarm the people here any more than I want to alarm you. In fact I’m quite wondering where ‘here’ is?”

You extend a greeting to him and carefully introduce yourself, responding to his question that he is in Sandpoint. As you do so your hand doesn’t leave the hilt of your blade and his dark eyes notice, he says, “Come now, I mean no harm to you. Not only is it intriguing to see one of your kind here, but I’m rather hoping you can help me with some information about this ‘Sandpoint’. I wouldn’t expect to ask for aid from a Drow elf. But perhaps some hospitality at least.”

He gestures behind you and you see the door to the Glassworks is now open. Surreptitiously you scan him for any evil intentions using the innate senses of your order. Finding none you proceed to invite him inside. As he follows you in gazes around the building - walls, ceilings, floors - and says, “Intriguing, the feeling is quite strong here. Not as strong as out in the street over that way, but strong nonetheless. I wonder what it is. Is it some sort of Drow magic beneath the earth here? It seems more elusive than that.”

Not entirely certain what he’s talking about you make your way past the showroom to a kitchen area off the living quarters. Food from the evenings meal is still laid out on the table from earlier and you fill a glass of water for each of you and sit. He sits as well and you note that he leans his staff against the wall behind him - still in easy reach, but no longer in his hand.

He says, “Ah thank you lad.” As he takes a long drink and helps himself to food off the plate. You stoically stare at him but he seems undeterred as he continues. “Now where was I? Yes Sandpoint. A peculiar name for the town. Are we by the ocean? I didn’t notice. Very odd, but I feel traces of magical residue here. This world has some odd magics, but for some reason this one stands out for me.” His eyes seem a little wild as he relates this, darting back and forth or even up and down.

“I am a master of magic you know. Ah wait actually you don’t know. I haven’t introduced myself.” He stands and gives a short bow before sitting again, “I am Akeroth. I am the head of the...an..an order of powerful wizards.” His eyes continue their frantic dance as he seems to struggle to remember, “Well I’m afraid I don’t know what the order was called. I once knew though.” His voice lowers and his eyes regain their focus as he looks down, “I once knew a great many things.”

Akeroth
“There is something here from my memory. Not magic, but the echo of magic. I must learn more. I feel it in these lands in other places too. It comes and it goes, but I feel it. It feels like....blast it, I can’t remember.” His focus seems lost again and his eyes have returned to darting. “Half a world away I felt it for the last seven years. Not knowing what it was. But it’s here! I’m here and I can’t sense it. Can’t get a read on it. I know this!” His frustration building you see his hands clench into fists and unclench as he talks.

“So this is Sandpoint. There is something here. Or was. Or maybe will be.” He stops and takes a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment, “Let’s start this again. I apologize for my demeanor, I can’t seem to organize my thoughts these days. I’m looking for information about this place. I know Drow have a sensitivity to magic. Have you seen anything like that here? This seems to be a small town, nearly wholly uninteresting and mundane. But I can’t escape the feeling I have so I must inquire.”

Carefully you respond, giving him general information about the runewell you found under the city and telling him of the circumstances you found it in. He nods slowly, “Yes, yes this ‘runewell’ must be what I sensed. I’m not sure why it would be....hrummph”. He shudders slightly and says, “Have you noticed any other magics like this runewell?”

You feel less and less inclined to give him answers but still find yourself speaking. Even as the compulsion drives you to tell him about the runewell at Thistletop and how they gather power through greed or wrath you grasp for your sword below the table. Leaping to your feet you overturn the bench you were sitting on and draw your blade. Akeroth looks surprise but says simply, “Apparently I asked too many questions. I’m not even sure why, the answers don’t really seem that important to me. I’d much rather get myself back to Dalaron. This is a very uncomfortable place - where did you say we were again?”

He seems genuinely confused and quite sincerely out of his mind. The compulsion seems to be an almost offhand effect of his voice. You pause for a moment to think through the entire situation. There is a miniature storm giant wizard sitting in your kitchen eating your leftovers and asking about runewells while arguing with himself. Suddenly it feels almost comical, certainly not threatening.

“Sandpoint” you say. “You are in Sandpoint. Now we’ve spend a good time talking about the runewells and this area. How about you talk to me some more about what brings you here?” You lower your sword and see if perhaps you can gain more information about what is going on. Akeroth replies, “Well that’s the problem that I’m having is that I’m not really sure what brought me here. I can recall wandering for some time. I remember feeling the traces of magic. But every time I muster the strength of will to go do something about it I become distracted. It’s been nearly seven years since I first felt the magics and I set out. But now that I’m here I feel...” He shudders again.

“What is this place? Where? Sandpoint. Yes. Why? I...I don’t know. Must get back home, away from here. Can’t think....” His eyes dart around at high speeds and you raise your sword again. He focuses on the blade for a moment, “Drow here? Why? How dare he threaten me! Wait, is he one of mine? Did I hire you? Yes, to protect the passage to my tower right? In the ice caps?” He chuckles lowly. “All that light from the snow, the cold. A Drow would hate that. Why would I hire them?” He eyes stop darting and he becomes fully unfocused. Staring off into space.

A few moments later, he blinks and squeezes his eyes shut. Then says, “My name is Akeroth. I am the Master Arcanist. My mind is not whole. But I can feel the magic in this place. I see you before me Drow and I know you to be a creature of light. I know not how you came to be thus, but I might not be lucide again for a long time. I need you to know what happened to the world. Something is coming and only by remembering the past can we prevent the rise of evil in the future.”

The Story
He settles to his bench at the table again and you do likewise. Keeping his eyes shut he begins to speak in a deep even tone. “I lived in a time when great powers darkened the world. Two hundred years ago a warlord known as the Conqueror came to power in the Northern Mountains of Enivor. The Conqueror had three sons that walked the land laying waste to the countries that stood against him and enforcing his will.”

He opens his eyes as he continues, “I am from Dalaron, the southern continent. We ignored the threat there as it wasn’t our own. We had our own troubles rise against us and our own battles to fight. But they ended up one and the same.”

“The three sons of the Conqueror were: El’vort - a powerful warrior like the Conqueror himself who lead his father’s armies; Qualk - an assassin used to great effect to leave opposing armies and countries leaderless; And Thossose the Necromancer.”

“Thossose. He came to Dalaron as well as Enivor, but he came in disguise. As a peer and a friend. He assisted with the crafting of magic and I thought his motives pure, when he really was learning of the power for himself. A brilliant mind, he crafted a new ecosystem in the elven wood of Enivor. The Greenwood became the Blood Wood. He corrupted each tree, each plant, each creature. They grew thorns of bone from their bodies and their anguish grew to hatred. It was brilliant.”

“The corruption, the magics used to such effect. I appreciate it as only another arcane mind can - for it’s pure essence of magic. But as a living creature the effect was an abomination to life. He twisted the minds of living beings with pain until they no longer knew themselves. And this was not his only magic to do so.”

“To further consolidate his power in the north he created a lethal disease that ravaged the minds of other arcane spellcasters. The Grey Death. It broke the minds of the casters slowly, seeping into their magics over time, feeding on their use of the magic to destroy them. Transmitting itself from caster to caster to spread, it left the northern continent nearly bereft of arcane magic users. Leaving Thossose to rule unchallenged.”

“Eventually though those that opposed the Conqueror and his children, gathered together in a city called Iron Mountain. It was a legendary island where arcane casters had sot refuge to protect themselves from the disease Thossose had created. In Iron Mountain we planned our final attack on the Conqueror and his sons. Had we failed his reign would have known no bounds.”

“I gathered there with two of my apprentices. A powerful wizard from Dalaron named Auglindrel and a strange sorcerer from deep within the Northern Mountains named Azuramond. I felt a sense of responsibility for Thossosse since he had been a colleague of mine many years prior when he was still building up his power and he had learned many magical techniques from me.”

“We made a plan, four groups, each one would confront one of the threats. The timing was to be perfect, to assault all of them at once and prevent them from reinforcing each other. Strength against strength. We sent powerful warriors and priests after El’vort and the Conquorer. We sent our best assassins after Qualk. And we sent our casters against Thossose.”

“Thossose required guile of a different sort though. We felt no direct assault would be successful. So a small group of the casters met in secret - myself, Auglindrel, Azuramond, El-thalus, and Zalus put together a more complex plan. We planned to get one of our number in close to Thossose. To become his apprentice. To gain his trust, or at least position him close enough that he could betray Thossose when the rest of us struck.”

“Of course gaining Thossose’s trust would be no easy matter. We resolved to stage a betrayal from within our ranks. To feint an early confrontation with Thossose that would be unsuccessful due to one of our own. Azuramond volunteered. As a mind flayer from the Northern Mountains he would be best positioned to be believed by Thossose and with the ruse of him killing some of the other leaders of Iron Mountain he would be accepted by Thossose.”

“Unfortunately our plan worked. Well before the other allies had resolved on the final coordinated attack plan, we secretly gathered some of the other leaders of Iron Mountain and we set out to assault Thossose. We confronted him in the Blood Wood and he rebuffed our attacks. Then, when we pressed hard against him Azuramond struck. He killed three leaders of Iron Mountain that we had brought with us as allies and created an opening that allowed Thossose to kill a forth.”

“But he hadn’t followed the plan. He was to attack them a certain way to allow them to secretly survive the attack. He did not. He betrayed us and slew them by treachery. He joined Thossose as his apprentice and we were left with half our numbers for the final assault.”

“Retreating to Iron Mountain we regrouped with the others. We told the humiliating truth of our follie and the others nearly killed us for it. We prepared our final strike at Thossose as a suicide mission to redeem our failure. With only four of us left to fight him we knew of no other strategy the would give us a chance of besting him.”

“So once the others were in position for their strikes, we lured Thossose to Iron Mountain. A gem of the world’s arcane knowledge he had always sot. Once within Iron Mountain we used prepared magics to trap him there and lock the mountain itself into a demi-plane that would then crush in around him. It was meant as a trap for him and we gave ourselves a way out before it disappeared completely into oblivion. But Thossose was too clever, had too many contingencies prepared. As we sought to hold him off long enough to exit, he modified our magic to lock the plane entirely. Only I slipped through before his magics closed the exit.”

“And I...I was broken in the battle. The Gray Death seeped deeply into me as Thossose himself carried it to wield as a weapon. It saps my pride and confidence in my arcane skills - and the madness creeps into my mind. For two hundred years I’ve battled it. I’ve avoided all other arcane casters so that it never spreads again.”

“As the disease weakens me, it was designed to strengthen him. However during the battle when he called for the extra power it had stored up for him it did not come. He placed receptacles for this power throughout the world so as casters died of the disease, he could benefit. But the receptacles were sabotaged. They may serve some other purpose now, but the link between their power and Thossose was destroyed before we fought him or I doubt even our demi-plane would have held him.”

“Our follie was not an error, but a misjudgement. Only one among us knew what the real cost would be to betraying Thossose. And only one among us was willing to pay it.”

“So we were successful in destroying the Conqueror and his sons. The others mourned their losses and moved on to try and repair the world. The great Maelstrom formed where Iron Mountain once stood. The most powerful arcane magics of the world were lost in Iron Mountains destruction.”

“I seek confirmation though. I seek to weed out any remaining magics of Thossose. I am the only one that is left and the more power I use the more his disease consumes me. I can feel it though. I can feel the remnants of it out in the world still. I feel it here. Or at least I felt it.... my mine still clouds... the haze closes in again. I must return to my home and try to become lucid again before I venture out.”

“I haven’t much time left Drow. But I can see into your heart. I know you will take up the charge I place upon you now. Find any remaining magics of Thossose. Destroy them. They may be used for great evil and we must be ever vigilant. I must go.”

With that he shudders again and the wild look returns to his eyes. They dart around, focus on your for but a moment and then he disappears, teleporting off to distant lands.
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

https://hoofin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoofin Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 am

We r getting into some serious epic level shit gentlemen. Prepare yourselves!
Hoofin
Hoofin
Admin

https://hoofin.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post  gravime Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:56 am

Guess I'd better post this before the peasants revolt Razz

Quick backstory - I was engineered as a half-dragon by a mage to provide him with magical components.

During the six months of downtime you travel back to the burnt out
tower of your former master. Only the ash remains, but using your
stronger arcane powers you are able to detect a small magical
compartment hidden within the base of the fireplace. Inside you find
a small locked chest undamaged by the flames that destroyed the tower.

A Hidden Treasure
It takes you several days of magical and mundane effort to finally
open the chest. It was well protected by intricate locks and magical
wards. Clearly intended to be kept safe from all except the mage.

Inside you find a strange sextant like instrument and a tightly sealed
scroll. The scroll is written on oiled parchment canvas and well
preserved with magic. It contains a physical map of the land overlaid
with a chart of the stars. The map shows a small island off the south
west coast, well past Magnimar, labeled “Golden Spire”.

Several smaller slips of paper are clipped to the scroll with notes
scrawled in a different hand than the writing on the finely crafted
map. The notes describe the use of the sextant to align with the
stars to reach the island. There is another bold note that reads,
“flight only - no entrance by sea”. Other notes shows a sketched
drawing of a small chamber filled with large unhatched eggs. It’s
unlabeled but you immediately recognize the eggs to be those of a
dragon. There are several sketches of an egg chamber and then others
of just a single egg, or the same egg warming in a fireplace.

Other hastily scribbled notes depict various arcane formulas used to
combine the essence of the egg with a humanoid. You can tell more
about the process used to create you, but not enough to either
replicate it or undo it. It is obvious to you though that the dragon
half of you came from this island.

After returning to Sandpoint while studying more magics, crafting,
researching your thoughts keep straying back to this strange island.
Thoughts of other dragons and whether there are others like yourself
or even ancestors to your dragon half. This much thought and
deliberation you decide to try to find the island.

The Journey
You prepare for a long journey, setting out from Magnimar in a small
boat borrowed from a local fisherman for a few gold you take some
provisions and prepare your magics for the trip. Using the sextant
and the map to guide you, you set off. The journey over the ocean is
longer than expected, and the course takes you far south toward the
great Maelstrom. The waters move roughly even hundreds of miles from
the Maelstrom and you realize the notes were accurate about the
requirement for flight to reach the island. Judging by the stars the
island is within the edge of the Maelstrom. Not too far in, but
definitely near enough to the swirling red waters to overcome your
small boat.

So you spend the evening floating on the open water. Preparing the
right spells to enhance your natural flight with magical abilities and
resting for what will be a physically demanding stretch to get to the
island by air. In the morning you calculate your distances one more
time and then gathering your pack you take flight.

The winds over the Maelstrom are fierce and the water below churns red
with crashing waves cresting the surface from the depths. To conserve
strength you fly higher and higher, playing on the currents to carry
you on gliding wings. For nearly four days you fly before you see the
island.

Golden Spire is an appropriate name. A single spike rising up out of
the water, sheer sides like a pillar it shoots into the sky reflecting
the light of the sun down it’s length. The waters around the base
rage mightily against it, booming as they crash futilely against the
smooth stone. Calling upon your magic you cast a spell of flight upon
yourself for added mobility and you angle upward toward the top of the
spire.

As you break above the clouds and rise over the top edge of the spire
you can see the island before you. It seems to be a hollowed out
crater at the top, with steep sides leading down to a bowl shaped
valley. The valley is lush green and filled with life, a lake in the
middle is surrounded by majestic trees and open grass fields.

You notice single houses built farmhouse style by the lake as well as
burrows and caves along the interior walls of the crater. Though a
small area, everything teems with life and beauty. Ripping your gaze
away from the valley for a moment you are alerted to the movement in
the skies above. Other dragons fly in the air. Long sleek golds,
metallic silvers, and muted bronze or brasses. They bask in the light
of the morning and seem to fly for the pure pleasure of it.
Occasionally dipping down toward the lake only to have another leap
into the air from somewhere else in the valley.

Among the full dragons you notice half dragons as well. Part humanoid
but with wings like yours they also soar and dive. Maybe a dozen
hybrids in all, with a similar number of full dragons You could
admire the valley all day and continue watching their play, but you
are weary from your trip and anxious about meeting your brethren.

Golden Spire
You touch down at the edge of the valley just inside the rim of the
crater. Taking a few moments to catch your breath and relax your
wings, you see some of the dragons have noticed you. They stare as
they circle in the air above, but none seem alarmed or hostile to your
presence.

When your strength has recovered some you head toward the lake on
foot. There are no paths or roads in the valley and you smile to
think that of course everyone here flies everywhere. Having hid your
nature for so long it feels good to be in a place where you can reveal
it without judgement or shame. A place that so fully embraces a part
of yourself you aren’t entirely comfortable with.

As you near the lake you see one of the homes seems quite a bit larger
than some of the others and it is located more centrally within the
village. From this home a female half dragon emerges. Her age is
interminable by her appearance and she wears white robes with golden
trim as she slides gracefully across the ground toward you. She has
humanoid features but large golden wings folded on her back. She
extends a clawed hand toward you and says, “Welcome traveller, it is
rare to see one of our brethren from the mainland out this far.” Her
voice leaves a hint of a question but she does not ask it. Instead
she says, “Come inside and we will give you a place to rest.”

You can feel the gaze of other dragons on you from the skies above,
but they do not intervene or interrupt in anyway. As you reach the
doorway to the house the female half dragon turns to you again and
says, “Please come inside, my name is Xenelia and I am the matriarch
here.”

Nodding politely you follow her into the large home. The interior is
laid out quite differently than any home you have ever seen. The main
floor has a large kitchen and eating area that opens into an interior
courtyard. The second level rooms are all accessible from the
courtyard and there are no stairs or railing on the balcony above.
One simply flies up to the second level walkway and accesses the rooms
from there.

The interior courtyard is a beautifully crafted garden with a flowing
stream winding through vibrant flowers and purposefully placed stones.
Small walking paths and sitting areas line the garden so the feature
can be enjoyed without damaging it. Xenelia gestures toward the large
wooden table and you see a variety of foods have been laid out -
fruits, vegetables, well cooked meats, and breads. Again your sharp
mind senses the magical nature of this place as the valley would not
be nearly large enough to support livestock or hunting game for
several dozen dragons.

As you are seated, Xenelia breaks off a chunk of bread and eats with
you. She keeps silent gazing out toward her garden with a calculated
look as if contemplating the next modification. As you eat you notice
as the sleeves on her robes roll up that her arms are heavily scarred
with old battle wounds. Indeed examining her more closely you can see
her body is taut with muscle and her movements and stance more closely
resemble Wrex or Caius than they do a caster. She smiles and says
softly, “You must rest first and recover from your journey, then there
will be time for questions. We did indeed know you were coming and we
know you have no ill intentions here. Rest, this is a safe place for
you.”

Patiently holding back your questions you finish your meal and she
leads you to a room on the upper level. The room is wide and spacious
with a view of the lake out the broad window. The interior is one
large space, with a small section divide off by a freestanding white
cloth frame. A padded mat on the floor serves as a surprisingly
comfortable bed. Before she leaves you, Xenelia says that more food
will be brought and left outside your door and that you are to rest
for as long as you need.

It is nearly two days before you have fully regained your strength but
you can’t recall feeling more invigorated. The calm of the valley is
almost contagious and you feel a sense of peace that has not been part
of your life for as long as you can remember. Your adventures in
Sandpoint seem far away and you relax to let the serenity flow through
you.

Returning to the courtyard you great Xenelia as she repositions a set
of rocks in a different pattern. Uprooting them easily and digging
out a new place for them with her hands. She says, “If you’re ready I
will take you to speak with Law Highwing now. He is the Grand
Patriarch of our valley. Though he slumbers often in the dream sleep
of age, he used his power to form our haven here where we might seek
shelter from the outside world.”

Her eyes look down suddenly and she seems sorrowful as she continues
softly, “It will not last though, we know this. We must always remain
connected to the world, though this sanctuary provides us shelter when
we need it. You are of course welcome to stay as long as you’d like.
We can even form a home for you of your own. But make no decisions
until after you have spoken with Law Highwing.”

She leads you out of the house and takes wing across the lake to a
large hill set against the side of the crater’s edge. Proceeding
inside it spirals downward many hundred feet. The opening is huge and
you know that Law Highwing must be a very large full dragon. Sure
enough as you reach the bottom a massive chamber opens up containing
an equally massive gold dragon.

The Dragon
Law Highwing. Though aged, his gargantuan form is sleek to behold,
with scales still vibrant and bright after many years. He turns
toward the two of you as you approach and you gaze deeply into his
golden eyes. The pupils seem to sparkle with lights as if each were a
portion of the night sky. His mouth curls into a smile as he regards
Xenelia and speaks, “So, this is the one we sensed approaching so many
days ago. I’m glad she found her way here unharmed. I was greatly
troubled when we lost an egg, it is very gratifying to see it returned
to us in such splendid form.”

He then turns toward you and continues, “Yes Ifurita I recognize you.
Your dragon lineage is from a great line of dragons here on Golden
Spire. We raise our eggs as a community and we have few young at any
one time.” He scowls slightly and says, “I can see the magic that was
used to bind your spirit - it was inelegantly done. But you are truly
a creature of both worlds. Your soul is the soul of a dragon, as are
your mind, body, and heart.”

“I hope in time that you have embraced your nature more fully. It is
good to be cautious out in the world, but do not hesitate to take
pride in your true form. Those that know your heart will accept you
without reservation. The world is not always friendly to us and you
have been wise to use your magics as you have.”

“Speaking of which your arcane studies do you great service. You
should be proud of your achievements. While certainly you have much
to learn, you are still very young, after ample time - say two or
three hundred years - I’m sure you will have mastered everything there
is to know about magics.” He grins slightly as he says it, leaving
you somewhat flat footed seeing humor from such a noble creature.

He asks about your adventures and you spend the day and night in
conversation with Law Highwing and Xenelia. You describe your trials
and hardships, your successes and your experiences - both your recent
adventures in Sandpoint and your previous trials with the mage. They
both listen carefully and respond with pride and compassion. As the
morning approaches he says, “Come outside with me, I want to show you
something.” Instead of taking flight though the dragon simply rises
to his feet and with little warning all three of you are teleported
from the cavern to the eastern edge of the crater.

High up above the world you look east toward the rising sun, the
golden dragon chants arcane magics and you feel your gaze extended.
With your vantage point elevated into the clouds at the top of the
spire you can see out over the ocean to the far side of the world. As
the sun appears on the horizon, it lights the Maelstrom on the distant
waters and you can see the full expanse of it clearly. Thousands of
miles it stretches, a massive inverted vortex in the ocean. The seas
turned red by the earth churned up from the bottom with every wave and
tide. The waters crash and chop as they swirl in a huge track around
the center of the Maelstrom.

Law says, “That is the mark left on our world by evil. Xenelia will
tell you the full tale, but I wanted you to see this. To see what
evil can do to the world. You have fought valiantly against evil
where you have encountered it and I would ask that you continue to do
so. Many of us have grown content or are constricted by age. We need
youth such as yours to walk the world. To heal the damages done and
to stand guard against further evil like that.”

“I was at the center of the Maelstrom the day it formed. A day I will
never forget. The greatest arcane mages of an age were gathered
together in a battle against the darkest evil I witnessed in my long
life time. We were successful in defeating the evil, but the cost was
tremendous. The island we fought on, my home, was destroyed. With
it, the magical knowledge of generations was lost. I only survived
because I was flying in the air well above the island itself, and even
then I was thrown hundreds of miles away by the force of the
destruction.”

“This is the evil that rises if we are not active, if we are not
vigilant. Now the world is split in two with north and south unable
to reach each other - save for the brave actions of a few.” He turns
to look directly into your eyes again and says, “Rest here, stay
awhile and enjoy the peace. But listen to what Xenelia will tell you
about that time, and when you are ready to go back out into the world
come talk to me again.”

With that he does take flight. His huge wings buffeting the ground
with great gusts of wind and he propels himself into the air. He
soars majestically in the morning light, basking briefly before
spiralling down toward his cave in wide circles around the valley.

The Story
Still transfixed by the enormity of the Maelstrom it is several
minutes before you realize that Xenelia has already departed back for
the house. She says grounded but runs with unmatched speed over the
fields. Taking to the air you join her at her house where she awaits
you in the courtyard.

She tosses you a small fruit from a nearby tree and likewise snacks on
one herself before she speaks. When she does speak she takes on a
fierce and serious demeanor, quite unlike the calm, casual manner she
has displayed for you up until this point.

“I lived in a time when great powers darkened the world. Two hundred
years ago a warlord known as the Conqueror came to power in the
Northern Mountains of Enivor. The Conqueror had three sons that
walked the land laying waste to the countries that stood against him
and enforcing his will.”

“The three sons were: El’vort - a powerful warrior like the Conqueror
himself who lead the Conqueror’s armies; Qualk - an assassin used to
great effect to leave opposing armies and countries leaderless; And
Thossose - a dark necromancer who created abominations like a lethal
disease that ravaged the minds of arcane spellcasters or desecrations
of the land like the Blood Wood that still stands today.”

“After many years of battling these forces piecemeal, all those that
opposed the Conqueror gathered together in a city called Iron
Mountain. It was a legendary island where arcane casters had gathered
to protect themselves from the disease Thossose had created. In Iron
Mountain we planned our final attack on the Conqueror and his sons. I
say final because had we failed there would have been no other
challenges to his power.”

“We formed into four groups, each one would confront one of the
threats. The timing was to be perfect, to assault all of them at once
and prevent them from reinforcing each other. We sent our strength
against their strength. We sent powerful warriors and priests after
El’vort and the Conqueror both paragons of physical prowess. We sent
our strongest casters against Thossose. And against Qualk we formed a
stealthy, highly mobile strike force to infiltrate his tower in Darken
Reach that included myself”

“Accompanying me were two valiant comrades. Firion the marksman and
Quiver the shadow assassin. Like myself they both possessed the
ability to strike unseen - Firion from a distance with the sharp time
of his arrows and Quiver from the shadows nearby a target with the
edge of his immense blade.”

“For our part is was delicate assault. Darken Reach was filled with
Qualk’s sentinels. Undead, demons, and creatures of the shadows. He
believed in strength and precision - quality over quantity. So while
we didn’t have the armies to cut through that our compatriots in Dal
Perimorre and the Northern Mountains did, we instead had to deal with
harsh foes in close quarters. Further Qualk’s paranoia drove him to
obsessively plan traps and contingencies around him at all times.”

“It was slow going, we also found that Qualk had positioned a number
of simulacrums of himself in various areas of Darken Reach and we had
to hunt down and kill each of them to insure it wasn’t the real
version.”

“Finally we tracked him down to a secret room beneath the tower and
attacked us from the darkness. Quiver chased him from shadow to
shadow as he struck and I sought to block many blows while staying in
front of his attacks with my superior speed. Finally I got a grip on
him and pinned him down for a few moments. Firion’s arrows and
Quiver’s blade made quick work of him.”

“On his corpse Quiver found a powerful magical amulet. Doning the
amulet he became the master of Darken Reach in Qualk’s place. The
minions gave their allegiance to their new master and we were able to
leave unharmed. But with his soul already steeped in an affinity for
the shadows, Quiver decided to stay.”

“He must have reasoned that he could control the monstrosities of the
night and direct them to ends of good, even if their means were not.
He had always walked the line, avoiding the light wherever possible
but never serving the darkness. To this day Darken Reach is still a
place to be avoided, but no longer do the creatures there seek out
innocents to harm, so perhaps he has been successful in his dance
between light and dark.”

“We rejoined our surviving companions in Dal Perimorre and that is
when we heard the news of Iron Mountain. Our attacks had been
successful - the Conqueror, Qualk, El’vort, and Thossose were all
defeated. But in his defeat Thossose took Iron Mountain with him.
The mages we had sent against him were all no more. The destruction
of the island ripped a great hole in the world and the Maelstrom had
formed. The face of the world had changed with the northern and
southern continents cut off from each other and it would be a great
many years before we would recover.”

“But recover we did. Law Highwing reached out to me and other dragons
and we founded this place. Other great forces for good walked the
world and created similar safe havens. Stromnus the great stone giant
warrior in North Reach. High Priest Cidalfus and High Commander Galen
brave the Maelstorm to maintain trade between the north and south in
their flying Citadel. Uthgart and Grom populated Valenfall with their
clans, forming fierce armies of their kin.”

“But there is always darkness. It forms in dark corners of the world
and strikes when you don’t expect it. We must always be vigilant of
what may come. We must have courages people like you, out in the
world standing up to evil where you find it.”

“I’m glad you came to use Ifrita. Rest here awhile. Talk with your
brethren and when you’re ready Law Highwing will take you back to the
world.” You stay on the island for some time conversing with other
dragons, practicing your magics, and becoming more confident in your
combined nature. Eventually though you realize that you must return
to the world, the charge that Law Highwing has laid on you for
vigilance rings true in your ears and you return to Sandpoint via his
teleportation.
gravime
gravime

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 am

I put this quickly together, the Word document will be in the Google drive for people to edit as they recall. I also put up some old docs I saved from 3.5E to help everyone recall major plot points.

Cast of Major Characters

Enivor Campaign:
Stromnus-Fighter (Stone Giant); currently residing in North Reach
Xenelia-Monk (Half-Dragon); currently residing at the Golden Spire
Cidalfus-Cleric (half-celestial); currently residing on Flying Citadel
Azuramond-Mage (Mind Flayer); whereabouts unknown
Zalus-Mage (half-fiend); last seen in Iron Mountain

Dalaran Campaign:
Elthalus-Mage (Elf); last seen in Iron Mountain
Auglindrel-Mage (Elf); last seen in Iron Mountain
Galen-Paladin (Human?); currently residing on Flying Citadel
Morigan-Druid (Elf?); whereabouts unknown
Masimaru-Rogue (Elf/Vampire?)???

Vallenfall Campaign:
Uthgart-Fighter (Bugbear); currently residing on Vallenfall
Grom-Fighter (Bugbear/Werebear); currently residing on Vallenfall
Magdelyn-Fighter (human?)
Firion-Ranger?; whereabouts unknown
Quiver-Fighter (Elf?)???

Varisia Campaign:
Wrex-Fighter (Rock Troll)
Caius-Paladin (Drow)
Vito-Oracle (Half-Celestial)
Ifurita-Mage (Half-Dragon)

Notable NPCs:
Bra’dok Tor-Barbarian (Thorn Orc); whereabouts unknown
Akeroth-Mage (Storm Giant); currently residing in Dalaran/traveling?
Law Highwing-Gold Dragon; currently residing at the Golden Spire
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrex Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:30 am

For those that enjoy Jeremy's stories, I dug up old ones which I also posted in Google drive as it is too long to post here.
Wrex
Wrex

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:32 am

Wrex wrote:I put this quickly together, the Word document will be in the Google drive for people to edit as they recall. I also put up some old docs I saved from 3.5E to help everyone recall major plot points.

Mike, one of the first things I did when putting together the stories was to dig up this list and put a "where are they now" on each character. You're list looks pretty accurate. A couple of details I'll add since they were in the stories (at least I think they were, I cut some stuff during editing but I'm pretty sure you know all these). I also added some you don't know that don't really impact anything.

Cast of Major Characters

Morigan-Druid (Elf?); currently residing in Blood Wood
Masimaru-Rogue (Elf/Vampire?) - Currently residing in 4th edition (you're mixing this character with Quiver)
Uthgart-Fighter (Bugbear); Deceased, descendants in Vallenfall
Grom-Fighter (Bugbear/Werebear); Deceased, descendants in Vallenfall
Magdelyn-Fighter (human paladin) - Deceased
Firion-Ranger (sniper); Deceased
Quiver-Fighter (Elf/Vampire Rogue with big sword) - New Ruler in Darken Reach (This is ray's character from 3.5 you're thinking of)

Notable NPCs:
Bra’dok Tor-Barbarian (Thorn Orc); Living in Blood Wood
Akeroth-Mage (Storm Giant); Unknown, has the Gray Death though and is partially insane
Law Highwing-Gold Dragon; currently residing at the Golden Spire

Other significant 3.5 NPCs you left out (or didn't know the fate of):
Zalus (demonic powerful caster) - Last seen in Iron Mountain
Reina (Pally Henchman) - Deceased, Killed in battle of Dal Perimorre
Sage (Awakaned familiar to one of paul's mage, I can't remember which) - Unknown (I think it was off with a Simulacrum of Auglindrel looking for black diamonds or something - my notes and memory are fuzz on this one)
Alasandor (Elven Leader) - Deceased, Killed by Azuramond in betrayal
Lexica Ig Thalan (Circle of Broken Earth guild leader - on of the Iron Mountain guilds) - Last seen in Iron Mountain
Admiral Quince (Dal Perimorre leader) - Deceased, Killed by Azuramond in betrayal
Fel Storneridge (Leader of the Iron Knights) - Deceased, Killed in battle of Dal Perimorre during Cid/Galan/Grom/Uthgart assault
Deluda Vic (Farseerers guild leader in Iron Mountain) - Last seen in Iron Mountain
Flip Albideen (powerful caster, guild leader in Iron Mountain) - Deceased, Killed by Azuramond in betrayal
Vax Targon (caster, guild leader in Iron Mountain) - Deceased, Killed by Thossose during Azuramond's betrayal
Blek’Sambor (Stone Giant librarian in Iron Mountain) - Last seen in Iron Mountain
Krikk (White Dragon ally) - Still resides in Dalaron lair
Tasheck Brand (Vallenfall dude) - Deceased
Emen Rockhand (Vallenfall dude) - Deceased
Vok Kelo (Vallenfall dude) - Deceased
Thrag (Vallenfall dude) - Deceased
Nimira (Rock Troll leader) - now 2nd in command in North Reach
Ghared (Rock Troll leader) - Deceased (old age)
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy44 Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Templates are posted in the shared drive - https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-xC_olSxqH8bzhnd2hmdm9qR0E/edit?usp=sharing

Basically these are applied to your character as is. They are not prestige classes, they don't affect your level, you don't spend any xps on them. You just apply them straight to your character. Of course it assumes that you spent the flashback downtime in the appropriate training described. They also won't take effect until you reach level 10. So they don't interfere with what is already planned for this adventure.

Email me any feedback you have on your template. The are not necessarily balanced identically, some abilities are stronger than others, some have more abilities, some have fewer. All will increase the power of your character. Each is also specific to your character - theoretically it is possible that you could take a template from one of the other characters, but practically it's unlikely.

-JW
Jeremy44
Jeremy44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down